Basic CSS positioning Question??

Spartanicus

m said:
I am trying to get the basics of positioning and have a problem in trying to
get the footer to appear at the bottom of the page regardles of how much
content there is.

Don't bother, IE doesn't support it, in UAs that support it is to
fragile (you'd need to size the height of the footer in %).

Btw, don't post code to the group, post a url.

Jukka K. Korpela

Spartanicus said:
Btw, don't post code to the group, post a url.

Actually "m" seems to be multiposting the same question around, probably
carefully avoiding the most adequate group. It looks pointless to try to
help her or him under such conditions.

Toby Inkster

m said:
position: absolute;

.... is usually a bad idea.

Just float your side bar to the left, add a few margins and padding and
let normal flow do the rest.

Spartanicus

Top posting is not appreciated here, corrected this once.

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me a better way to get the text I want
to be at the bottom of the page to appear there.

Didn't I just tell you that it's not possible to get this to work?

Let the footer position itself below the content, go with the flow.

Spartanicus

Spartanicus said:
Don't bother, IE doesn't support it, in UAs that support it is to
fragile (you'd need to size the height of the footer in %).

Oops, I got mixed up with another example I drew up for someone
recently. It should have read:

To get it to "work" in IE you'd need to size the footer as a percentage
of the viewport height, this is almost certainly unacceptable. It also
throws up other unacceptable issues.

Jukka said:
- -

Actually "m" seems to be multiposting the same question around, probably
carefully avoiding the most adequate group. It looks pointless to try to
help her or him under such conditions.

Just for clarification, this guy is not the same 'm' that normally posts
to this group.

mbstevens

Sam said:
Then why not just use your name in the From line?

Well, that's a good point. I've been sticking with it
to avoid confusion, which is obviously not working.
So, good Sam, I'll hereby renounce "m" and begin
using...

I am trying to get the basics of positioning and have a problem in trying to
get the footer to appear at the bottom of the page regardles of how much
content there is. For those that can answer my question the simple page
below should explain my limited knowledge better.

thanks in anticipation:

<head>
<title>
Css Basics
</title>
body {
font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
}

a {
color: red;
text-decoration: none;
font-weight: bold;
}

#Header {
position: absolute;
left: 25px;
top: 10px;
}

#MainText{
position: absolute;
left: 225px;
top: 100px;
margin-right: 25px;
}

#SideBar{
position: absolute;
color: green;
left: 25px;
top: 100px;
width: 175px;
}

#Footer{
position: absolute;
bottom: 20px;
left: 25px;
color: silver;
font-size: 65%;
}

</head>
<h1>CSS Basics :: Positioning</h1>

<ul>
<li>link one</li>
<li>link two</li>
<li>link three</li>
<li>link four</li>
</ul>

The text created by the ID tag #MainText is used for the

main content area of the page.<br />

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, Lester consectetuer adipiscing

elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet

dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim

veniam, quis nostrud esse molestie consequat, vel illum

dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan

et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit sdlkfl klsdf!!<br />

praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te

feugait nulla facilisi.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,

consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh

euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat

volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud

exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut

aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure

dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie

consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at

vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qu

Standard footer text appears here on every page.

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me a better way to get the text I want
to be at the bottom of the page to appear there. Everything I try gets the
result posted or, the text appears over the top of the heading?

cheers
Michael

No I'm not multi posting. What happened was, I have not used this group
before and when I first searched for newsgroups I found one that didn't
appear to be as popular as this one. So I posted to this one tinking that
help might be quicker.

Perpaps I'm not explaining my lack of knowledge well enough. I'd be happy
having the footer text appear at the bottom of the page in any way - plain
html or css.
The problem I'm having is the text appears at the top of the page - over the
text defined by the style.

-Michael