beginners question

dirk

Hello,
i gave made some code in VBA for Excel.
i want to make a webpage with the same examples as my excel file, so i think
i will need javascript (serverside?)
how do i begin?
are there some good sites?
thanks.

Dag Sunde

dirk said:
Hello,
i gave made some code in VBA for Excel.
i want to make a webpage with the same examples as my excel file, so i
think
i will need javascript (serverside?)
how do i begin?
are there some good sites?

Are we to understand that you want a web page that shows/execute
som mathematical calculations based on some user input?

You can do this serverside in any language supported by your
webserver by posting the form with the input-values back to
your server-script, let it do the calculations and generate
the result page back to the browser.

If you do it serverside I suggest using IIS, since you obviously
are familiar with VBA witch are very close to VBScript. ASP pages
can be coded in VB-Script.

Or... You can choos to write all your calculations in JavaScript
as functions in the web-page itself, and do all of the work in
the users browser (clientside).

If you choose the last alternative (I would), then this is the
right NG to ask.

dirk

so yes,
i want to do it by using javascript (client side)
what do you mean by "the right NG to ask"?

can you give me some examples for writing an inputbox and a commandbutton on
a html page,
then returning the value of this inputbox by deviding it by 3 for example?

are there some good sites where i can study this?
thank you

Dag Sunde

so yes,
i want to do it by using javascript (client side)
what do you mean by "the right NG to ask"?

can you give me some examples for writing an inputbox and a commandbutton
on
a html page,
then returning the value of this inputbox by deviding it by 3 for example?

are there some good sites where i can study this?
thank you

<head>
<title>Divide</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function divideBy3() {
var myNum = document.getElementById("myNumber").value;
var myResult = document.getElementById("result");
myResult.value = myNum / 3;
return true
}
</script>
</head>

<label>Number to divide: </label>
<input type="text" id="myNumber" value="" />&nbsp;
<input type="button" id="cmdDivide" value="Divide by 3"
onclick="divideBy3();"/><br />
<label>Result: </label>
<input type="text" id="result" value="" />

ASM

dirk said:
can you give me some examples for writing an inputbox and a commandbutton on
a html page,
then returning the value of this inputbox by deviding it by 3 for example?

<form name="form_1">
<input type=text onchange="result.value=this.value/3">
and click outside (on page)
<input type=text name="result">
<hr>
<input type=text name="num1" size=5>
<select name="choiss">
<option>Operator
<option> +
<option> -
<option> :
<option> x
</select>
number 2 :
<input type=text name="num2" size=5>
<input type=button value="calcul" onclick="calc()">
<input type=text name="total" size=6>
</form>
<script type="text/javascript">
function calc() {
var f = document.forms['form_1'];
var n1 = f.num1.value;
var n2 = f.num2.value;
var op = new Array('','+','-','/','*');
var i = f.choiss.selectedIndex;
if(i==0) alert('you din\'t select an operator');
else
f.total.value= eval(n1+op+n2);
}
</script>