Best practice for identity when accessing SQL Server...L

Brian Muth

We are in the final phases of rolling out an n-tier product that supports
both a COM+ middle-tier, a Web Service, and a backend database (SQL Server
2000).

The COM+ middle-tier application runs under a regular domain account, and
accesses the database using Integrated Windows Authentication (and this is
"goodness"). The issue is with the Web Service. Currently it is running
under ASP.NET, which, of course, is a local account.

Frankly, I would like to change the Web Service to run under a same regular
domain account as the COM+ application, for simplicity. However, my
programmers tell me this requires a change to machine.config, and this may
affect other deployed web services running on the same box.

Questions:

1. If we stick with ASP.NET, can this be used to access SQL Server 2000
using IWA?
2. Is there another approach where we can run our web service under our
domain user account without affecting other co-located web sites?
3. I'm open to other ideas how to approach this problem. How do others
tackle this idea? (or does everyone just use SQL authentication?)

Your ASP.NET neophyte,

Brian

bruce barker

any any asp.net application (vdir), you can set the service account in the
web.config file. see the <impersonate> entry. it also allows the username
and password be encrypted in the registery. if you are using server 2003,
you can setup an application pool, and give it its own service account.

avoid calling com+ from asp.net because it a real performance problem,
especially if the com objects are vb6.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)