best python games?

sogeking99

hey guys, what are some of the best games made in python? free games
really. like pygames stuff. i want to see what python is capable of.

cant see any good one on pygames site really, though they have nothing
like sort by rating or most downloaded as far as i can tell

Corey Richardson

hey guys, what are some of the best games made in python? free games
really. like pygames stuff. i want to see what python is capable of.

cant see any good one on pygames site really, though they have nothing
like sort by rating or most downloaded as far as i can tell

Unknown Horizons is pretty OK, and the upcoming PARPG looks promising
(both use the FIFE engine).

Paul Rudin

sogeking99 said:
hey guys, what are some of the best games made in python? free games
really. like pygames stuff. i want to see what python is capable of.

Apparently Eve Online is (stackless) python.

alex23

Paul Rudin said:
Apparently Eve Online is (stackless) python.

I've dropped a ridiculous number of hours into EVE this year alone but
I'd be very hesitant to ever mention "best" in relation to its
coding :)

It uses way too much floating point incorrectly, the in-game
calculator gives the result of 878.53 - 874.20 as 4.3299999999999. I'm
pretty sure this is also why occasionally you'll be left with 1 0.01m3
unit out of 39,0000 with the storage container complaining it's full
at 38,9999.99.

CCP's devs have been raving about their radical new "Inventory
Setification" code optimisation which is - as far as I can tell -
simply changing some internal representations from lists to sets and
gaining from recent performance tweaks.

EVE is very much a game I play in spite of the implementation :(

Civ 4 used it for most of the gameplay and interface, I believe,
wrapping more performant libraries for the graphics & audio.

Steven D'Aprano

I've dropped a ridiculous number of hours into EVE this year alone but
I'd be very hesitant to ever mention "best" in relation to its coding :)

It uses way too much floating point incorrectly, the in-game calculator
gives the result of 878.53 - 874.20 as 4.3299999999999.

Well no wonder you're complaining! That's *completely* wrong, the correct
value is 4.3299999999999272.

Paul Rudin

alex23 said:
I've dropped a ridiculous number of hours into EVE this year alone but
I'd be very hesitant to ever mention "best" in relation to its
coding :)

It uses way too much floating point incorrectly, the in-game
calculator gives the result of 878.53 - 874.20 as 4.3299999999999. I'm
pretty sure this is also why occasionally you'll be left with 1 0.01m3
unit out of 39,0000 with the storage container complaining it's full
at 38,9999.99.

Floating point arithmetic isn't, in general, precise. I don't know the
game, so I can't comment on whether they should have chosen to ensure
precision in this context, but presumably that would make things a
little slower.

Ian Kelly

Civ 4 used it for most of the gameplay and interface, I believe,
wrapping more performant libraries for the graphics & audio.

For Civ 5, however, they have switched to Lua -- I think primarily for
speed reasons.

Raymond Hettinger

hey guys, what are some of the best games made in python? free games
really. like pygames stuff. i want to see what python is capable of.

cant see any good one on pygames site really, though they have nothing
like sort by rating or most downloaded as far as i can tell

At Pycon, I saw some impressive looking games written
during the PyWeek, Python Game Programming Challenge
http://www.pyweek.org/

I think they're fine examples of what Python is capable of.

Raymond