Best way to send SOAP requests from IE client pages - WebService HTC?

Cory

I'm trying to find the best way to communicate between an IE-viewed
HTML page and a .NET Web Service. The only option that seems feasible
for my needs is the WebService.htc behavior provided by Microsoft.
However, this component is unsupported by MS...I would assume because:
1.) There have been a number of reports of IE memory leaks caused by
it, and 2.) The SOAP Toolkit has been deprecated by the .NET
Framework.

With that said, is there any hope of Microsoft releasing an update for
an unsupported component? :) Or, is the fact that it's unsupported
indicative that a better web-client-Web-Service-communication-widget
is either already in existence or on the way, say with the 2.0
Framework? Are there any third-party solutions out there which can
support synchronous method calls and don't require ActiveX controls or
Java applets?

It's hard to believe in the midst of the current Web Services frenzy
that there's no bulletproof solution for allowing a web page to make
its own SOAP calls.

bruce barker

Its actually worse, the lastest security updates for IE disable HTTPXml, the
component the web behavior was based on. As IE is "mature" product I would
not expect any SOAP support to be added to it. This may be addressesd in the
next major OS release, but that is years away.

Your only options now, are Netscape/Mozilla (which has SOAP support builtin)
or using Flash (which also has SOAP builtin).

For IE your only non active/x control option is the hidden frame trick.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

I haven't heard anything about disabling XMLHTTP-- is there documentation
about this somewhere?

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence