Big multiplexer?

bxbxb3

Hi,
I have 64Kbytes of ROM and supposing all the 65536 locations of ROM are
filled with opcodes, I have to read each locations one by one. This can be
done through the use of a multiplexer with 64K*8 input lines, and a program
counter.....or is there any other alternative other than designing such a
massive multiplexer with 64K*8 input lines or is this the only way?
Thanks in advance.

Ralf Hildebrandt

bxbxb3 wrote:

I have 64Kbytes of ROM

ROM or an constant array?
and supposing all the 65536 locations of ROM are
filled with opcodes, I have to read each locations one by one. This can be
done through the use of a multiplexer with 64K*8 input lines, and a program
counter.....or is there any other alternative other than designing such a
massive multiplexer with 64K*8 input lines or is this the only way?

What is your target architecture? FPGA, ASIC? Does your target offer a ROM?

Ralf

Mike Treseler

bxbxb3 said:
Hi,
I have 64Kbytes of ROM and supposing all the 65536 locations of ROM are
filled with opcodes, I have to read each locations one by one. This can be
done through the use of a multiplexer with 64K*8 input lines, and a program
counter.....or is there any other alternative other than designing such a
massive multiplexer with 64K*8 input lines or is this the only way?

If you already have the ROM,
you already have the multiplexer.

-- Mike Treseler

Ralf Hildebrandt

bxbxb3 said:
My target architecture is FPGA. It doesn't offer a ROM.

Really? Many FPGAs offer Block-RAM, that can be initialized, which is
the same as ROM.

Ralf

bxbxb3

Well, I wanted three multiplexers, one for reading opcode and the other two
for operands!