Binding to Hierarchical Data Source (FAQs)

Kent Boogaart

Hi,

I have some hierarchical data (FAQs) that I would like to bind to. The basic
structure is:

FAQ Category
+ Categories
+ FAQs

So an FAQ category has any number of sub-categories and any number of FAQs.
I want to display this structure on a web page so that it looks something
like this:

FAQ Category 1
FAQ 1.1
FAQ 1.2
FAQ Category 2
FAQ 2.1
FAQ 2.2
FAQ Category 2.1
FAQ 2.1.1

etcetera. I am confused about how to do this though. Firstly, I don't want
to use the XmlDataSource since my structure is not in XML. So I figured I'd
write my own FAQDataSource. Even if I do that though, which control should I
use to display this? The tree control doesn't allow me to customise the
display enough (no templates). The menu control doesn't allow me to
customise leaf nodes (FAQs) and non-leaf nodes (FAQ categories) separately.

Is there some other control I should be using for this? I thought about
using GridViews recursively but am not sure whether that's a good option...

Please advise,
Kent

Guest

As there is no class that supports your structure directly, you are going to
have to create your own mechanism to either a) turn into a type of structure
that is supported by databinding or b) write your own parser and display
elements.

DWS has a decent suggestion. Conversion of your material to XML is another
decent option (allows storage in the method you current have, but binds as
XML).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Kent Boogaart

Thanks guys. Actually, I already started down the path of implementing my
own data source. Then I thought "which control will I use to display the
data?". As I mentioned, the tree control isn't flexible enough for me (no
templates) and the menu control doesn't allow different templates for leaf /
non-leaf nodes (in other words, I can't display the FAQ category differently
to the FAQ, which is obviously required).

So assuming I have my custom data source, do you have a suggestion for which
control I could use to display it?

Thanks,
Kent

rpraveen

Kent,

I think a Grid Control that supports Hierarchical data is ideal for
you.

Essential Grid for ASP.Net from Syncfusion could be the right control
for you. It's not free though.

Take a look at the heirarchical grid samples here:
http://www2.syncfusion.com/2.0/samples.aspx

.... and browse to Grid.Grouping.Web/Hierarchies node on the left.

In ASP.Net 1.1, it's very easy to bind the grid to your data sources.
Just setup the heirarchical relationship between your sql tables in the
DataSet and bind that DataSet to the grid.

In ASP.Net 2.0, you will have to setup the relationship in code though,
since there is no design time support for DataSet. Still, very easy to
set it up.

Contact our support if you have more questions.

Regards,
Praveen Ramesh
Syncfusion, Inc.
www.syncfusion.com