Blackdown and java source

bigbinc

How does Blackdown relate to the java linux on the sun site. Is its
own implementation of java? I cant tell from the vague site.

Harald Hein

bigbinc said:
How does Blackdown relate to the java linux on the sun site. Is its
own implementation of java? I cant tell from the vague site.

Blackdown uses the Sun source code under a license from Sun and adapts
it to Linux. In 1999 Sun and Inprise (Borland for the older ones :))
screwed Blackdown over, when Sun and Inprise announced "their" version
of Java 1.2, which was in fact the Blackdown port. Sun conveniently
"forgot" to mention four years of work from the Blackdown people. They
later apologised for this. Still, several blackdown volunteers quitted
over this.

Today Sun at least manages to have a small "Credit" section in the
README file of the Linux Java release, mentioning Blackdown's work.

bigbinc

Harald Hein said:
Blackdown uses the Sun source code under a license from Sun and adapts
it to Linux. In 1999 Sun and Inprise (Borland for the older ones :))
screwed Blackdown over, when Sun and Inprise announced "their" version
of Java 1.2, which was in fact the Blackdown port. Sun conveniently
"forgot" to mention four years of work from the Blackdown people. They
later apologised for this. Still, several blackdown volunteers quitted
over this.

Today Sun at least manages to have a small "Credit" section in the
README file of the Linux Java release, mentioning Blackdown's work.

Hmm, so quality wise, would you say the current BlackDown version is
up to par. I am just trying to figure out why anyone would use the
Blackdown version when they have the Sun version. Obviously, the open
source aspect of the Blackdown version and if the java specs are out
they, I guess anyone has a chance to implement them, interesting. And
I guess the same thing occurs with j2ee implementations, sun has
sunone, but people tend to go with weblogic for example.

Harald Hein

bigbinc said:
Obviously, the open
source aspect of the Blackdown version

Blackdown is not open source! As I mentioned, they have licensed the
original Sun source code and ported it. They also had to sign NDAs,
which will prevent them forever to work on a truely independent Java
implementation.

Blackdown went through a lot of hastle to bring Java to Linux. They
have a difficult relation with Sun, and they are very careful not to
talk about that relation very much (the more outspoken ones left the
project after Sun and Inprise screwed them).

If you want an open source Java, look at GNU. But don't call it open
source :) The GNU Java version is incomplete, but makes some nice
progress.

bigbinc

Harald Hein said:
Blackdown is not open source! As I mentioned, they have licensed the
original Sun source code and ported it. They also had to sign NDAs,
which will prevent them forever to work on a truely independent Java
implementation.

Blackdown went through a lot of hastle to bring Java to Linux. They
have a difficult relation with Sun, and they are very careful not to
talk about that relation very much (the more outspoken ones left the
project after Sun and Inprise screwed them).

If you want an open source Java, look at GNU. But don't call it open
source :) The GNU Java version is incomplete, but makes some nice
progress.

I got it, I am looking at Kaffe, but I cant tell what jvm it is
supposed to support, I guess it doesnt match class for class with
j2se1.4 for example
Sun has the right, it is the only sun product I will ever use.