book for game programming?

DaMan

Can anyone recommend a good book that teaches how to program basic
games in C++? I have some C and C++ experience, but not too much with
graphics. The kind of game I want to write is a simple card game for
Windows. I could probably figure out all the logic, but working with
the graphics would be tough. I want a book that starts from the very
beginning as far as working with Windows and graphics. The game I
have in mind would have the look of Solitare in Windows. Appreciate
any help. Thanks.

Kevin Goodsell

DaMan said:
Can anyone recommend a good book that teaches how to program basic
games in C++? I have some C and C++ experience, but not too much with
graphics. The kind of game I want to write is a simple card game for
Windows. I could probably figure out all the logic, but working with
the graphics would be tough. I want a book that starts from the very
beginning as far as working with Windows and graphics. The game I
have in mind would have the look of Solitare in Windows. Appreciate
any help. Thanks.

C++ has no built-in support for many of the things you are likely to
need. For example, graphics, mouse input and sound. You should probably
ask this in a games programming group or a windows programming group.

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

-Kevin

Guest

Can anyone recommend a good book that teaches how to program basic
games in C++? I have some C and C++ experience, but not too much with
graphics. The kind of game I want to write is a simple card game for
Windows. I could probably figure out all the logic, but working with
the graphics would be tough. I want a book that starts from the very
beginning as far as working with Windows and graphics. The game I
have in mind would have the look of Solitare in Windows. Appreciate
any help. Thanks.

Search in Google for:
SDL (threads, mouse, keyboard, joystick, windows)
OpenAL (3d sound)
OpenGL (2d/3d graphics)

All of these are cross-platform (If you want your game to run only on Windows (sucks) platform learn DirectX)

for OpenGL the best book to begin is "The Red Book" or "OpenGL Programming Guide"
http://tassadar.physics.auth.gr/~chameleon/OpenGL/The Red Book/

Solitaire don't want OpenGL and OpenAL, so you must learn only SDL to make your game cross-platform.
If you want your game to run only in Windows, learn windows API about graphics