Book Recommendations

Nathan Weston

I'm new to Python and am looking for a book to get me up to speed
quickly. I'm an experienced programmer and very proficient with Ruby,
so Python is coming easily to me and I don't need a gentle
introduction -- I just need a quick way to get familiar with common
Python idioms and important libraries.

I'm also looking for a "gentler" book to help introduce some of my
co-workers to python. They are also experienced programmers, but
mostly in C++, with some Java/C# but minimal exposure to scripting
languages.

Any suggestions?

beliavsky

I'm new to Python and am looking for a book to get me up to speed
quickly. I'm an experienced programmer and very proficient with Ruby,
so Python is coming easily to me and I don't need a gentle
introduction -- I just need a quick way to get familiar with common
Python idioms and important libraries.

I'm also looking for a "gentler" book to help introduce some of my
co-workers to python. They are also experienced programmers, but
mostly in C++, with some Java/C# but minimal exposure to scripting
languages.

I'd recommend Alex Martelli's "Python in a Nutshell" for you and "Learning
Python" by Lutz and Ascher for your colleagues. They are both published by
O'Reilly.

Manuzhai

Nathan said:
I'm new to Python and am looking for a book to get me up to speed
quickly. I'm an experienced programmer and very proficient with Ruby,
so Python is coming easily to me and I don't need a gentle
introduction -- I just need a quick way to get familiar with common
Python idioms and important libraries.

I'm also looking for a "gentler" book to help introduce some of my
co-workers to python. They are also experienced programmers, but
mostly in C++, with some Java/C# but minimal exposure to scripting
languages.

Check this thread currently going on:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&group=comp.lang.python

Regards,

Manuzhai

Sean Dolan

http://www.diveintopython.org/

I'm also looking for a "gentler" book to help introduce some of my
co-workers to python. They are also experienced programmers, but
mostly in C++, with some Java/C# but minimal exposure to scripting
languages.

Any suggestions?

Fredrik Lundh

Nathan said:
I'm new to Python and am looking for a book to get me up to speed
quickly. I'm an experienced programmer and very proficient with Ruby,
so Python is coming easily to me and I don't need a gentle
introduction -- I just need a quick way to get familiar with common
Python idioms and important libraries.

http://effbot.org/zone/librarybook-index.htm

contains examples for all modules that were in 2.0, in idiomatic python
(see the "new modules in ..." for info on modules added in later versions).

</F>