books: Dive into Python vs Beginning Python

Franz Mueller

Hi,

which of the following books would you recommend:
"Dive into Python" or "Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional"?

I'm an experienced C++-programmer who wants to take a look at Python.

Thanks,
Franz

bruno at modulix

Franz said:
Hi,

which of the following books would you recommend:
"Dive into Python" or "Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional"?

I can't recommand the second since I've never read it. But you can
freely make your own opinion on the first, since it's freely available
online.

I'm an experienced C++-programmer who wants to take a look at Python.

Then I'd say that Dive into Python may be a good choice.

Welcome BTW

Aahz

Another option: just use the on-line tutorial at python.org

Sebastien Douche

Hi Franz! :)
which of the following books would you recommend:
"Dive into Python" or "Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional"?

Both are very good books but I suggest the latter because more recent.
Beginning Python talk python 2.3 and 2.4 : set data structure,
generator, iterator...

Godwin Burby

I would recommend both, but as i have already bought the first version
of Beginning Python known as Practical Python by Magnus. I can
gaurantee you that the practical projects as well as the succinct
python tutorial in the book will show you the full power and glory of
Python. Magnus is a great author, believe me!