books for newbies

Guest

Hi
I am new to web Development nad i wat to know which books are best for
ASP.NET and ADO.Net.
I am a beginner in this field so please refer me the books that are for
beginners.

Mark Rae [MVP]

I am new to web Development nad i wat to know which books are best for
ASP.NET and ADO.Net.
I am a beginner in this field so please refer me the books that are for
beginners.
For ASP, I have the book
"ASP Programming for Absolute Beginners" by John W Gosney
This book is using VB Script and i have no idea of basic and VB.
So, Can i go through this book.

No - ASP.NET is almost totally different from ASP...
For ASP.NET
I have "Murach's ASP.NET 2.0 Web Programming with C# 2005"

OK, but not really for absolute beginners...
I don't know anything about ADO.NET
Please recommend any book as well.

http://www.amazon.com/ASP-NET-Dummi...5520837?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190616805&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/ASP-NET-Every...5520837?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190616805&sr=8-3

Guest

This book is not for beginners as reviews are showing.
I also need to know about ASP.NET book good for beginners.
THanks

Mark Rae [MVP]

message
[top-posting corrected]
This book is not for beginners as reviews are showing.
I also need to know about ASP.NET book good for beginners.

I assure you that the "ASP.NET for Dummies" series certainly is aimed at
beginners - the clue's in the title...

Guest

I would have to reccommend Professional ADO.Net 2.0 by Sahil Malik (Apress) -
http://www.apress.com/book/view/1590595122

It does say Professional and as such it isn't aimed at beginners but even so
the first few chapters really do such a good job of expaining everything that
I would have no problem reccommending it to a beginner. If you pick stuff
like this up resonably well you'll have no problems.

I never really bother with 'Beginners' books for the following reason. Most
beginners books are at such a low level (as you would expect) that once
you've read it and perhaps done a few examples its completely useless. There
is so much information out there on the internet that, personally, I try my
best with the online stuff, copy and paste a few example, change a few things
here and there and then go for an imtermediate or Pro book. I'd rather have a
book that will be usefull for the next couple of years than one that will
last 1 week.

As far as ASP.Net and VB.Net goes I would say, forget about learning ASP
Classic and just jump straight into the ASP.Net stuff. As I mention above,
theres so much info out there you'll be rattling off websites in no time!!!
To a certain extent I guess it depends on how you want to program/create the
websites. If you want to drag and drop (as visual studio or visual web
developer are perfectly suited for) then get a Wrox beginners book
www.wrox.com which normally explains this sort of thing. If however you are
interested in programming it all in code (personally i think this approch is
better although slightly harder) you going to need to learn HTML, JavaScript
as well as ASP.Net. Either way try
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/ which is an official site
with load of code.

Good luck,

Chris

Alan T

I am also going to learn ASP.NET too.
Most probably I will use VS 2005 as learning tools to make it easier. I
would wonder it is not only provide you with drag and drop!!