Browser levels, PDAs and browser sniffing

Lauchlan M

Hi.

I have a need for users to access my ASP.NET pages from PDAs. I notice that
you can deploy to different browser levels, eg IE5, HTML3.2, etc. So
deploying the forms to HTML3.2 will work for PDAs.

Is there much else to it (other than testing to make sure it looks and works
ok)?

Also, how can I set it up to 'browser sniff' and serve up HTML 3.2 pages for
PDAs and (say) HTML 4 pages otherwise?

Thanks!

Lauchlan M

Jason \(MFT1\)

Great but how would one do it on a hosted site. How many web hosting
companies give you access to the machine.config?
Do any? I find many of the "solutions" to problems listed in this newsgroup
are great if you are using an intranet or if you are in development using
your own iis localhost but very often the solutions fall short when you
deploy to a web host that you do not have control over.

John Saunders

Lauchlan M said:
Hi.

I have a need for users to access my ASP.NET pages from PDAs. I notice that
you can deploy to different browser levels, eg IE5, HTML3.2, etc. So
deploying the forms to HTML3.2 will work for PDAs.

Have you considered using the Mobile Internet Toolkit? This allows you to
use controls which adapt to PDAs, cell phones, etc. It is now part of Visual
Studio 2003, but is an add-in for 2002.