browser timeouts

Jeff Thies

From time to time I have to do some (server) operation where the browser
may time out. (uploading multiple files or sending a mail list)

Would sending unbuffered output, ie periodical content back to the browser
help alleviate this? Or is the timeout dependant on the total time a page
takes to load? I imagine this may vary from UA to UA but there must be some
general guidelines.

Jeff

William Tasso

Jeff said:
From time to time I have to do some (server) operation where the
browser may time out. (uploading multiple files or sending a mail
list)

Would sending unbuffered output, ie periodical content back to the
browser help alleviate this?

I have seen this method used with success. Does your chosen server side
scripting languange have a script timeout setting?

Nico Schuyt

Jeff said:
From time to time I have to do some (server) operation where the
browser may time out. (uploading multiple files or sending a mail
list)

I think it's not the browser but the server that controls time out. Ask your
host.
To get the maximum time available in PHP I use: set_time_limit(value)
The value must be equal or higher than the fixed time out of the server.

If the upload or mailing is done on local host, you can raise the maximum
execution time in php.ini to whatever you need.
Nico

Jeff Thies

From time to time I have to do some (server) operation where the
I have seen this method used with success. Does your chosen server side
scripting languange have a script timeout setting?

It's perl and I'm unaware of that. Isn't there an Apache setting also?

The mail list, sent with a -o sendmail switch, will send but timeout and
throw a browser error.

The multiple file upload, which takes longer, can fail. Perhaps network
congestion slows this as I test on a dialup...

These aren't complex things, I'd write it in PHP if really though that
would make a difference.

Cheers,
Jeff