C++ Beginners question

henk

I want to straat with c++, but what do i need for that?
I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do i
have than everything i need in that package?

Henk.

Victor Bazarov

henk said:
I want to straat with c++, but what do i need for that?

Usually you need a good book, a text editor, and a compiler. I
presume you already have a computer with an operating system on it.
I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do
i have than everything i need in that package?

It is a good start, although it probably not cheap. You can find
a free compiler. Look for "Dev-C++". Alternatively, I'd recommend
MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. It's free and quite good. Do
not get distracted by setting up projects, managing configurations
and so on. Begin with using the command-line compiler. You will
still need a good book. Look at www.accu.org for book reviews or
sift through the news archives for gazillion of book recommendations.

henk

Victor Bazarov schreef:
Usually you need a good book, a text editor, and a compiler. I
presume you already have a computer with an operating system on it.

It is a good start, although it probably not cheap. You can find
a free compiler. Look for "Dev-C++". Alternatively, I'd recommend
MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. It's free and quite good. Do
not get distracted by setting up projects, managing configurations
and so on. Begin with using the command-line compiler. You will
still need a good book. Look at www.accu.org for book reviews or
sift through the news archives for gazillion of book recommendations.

Ok thanks for the help!, i shall get the prorgams later.

Henk.

pauldepstein

Victor said:
Usually you need a good book, a text editor, and a compiler. I
presume you already have a computer with an operating system on it.

It is a good start, although it probably not cheap. You can find
a free compiler. Look for "Dev-C++". Alternatively, I'd recommend
MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. It's free and quite good. Do
not get distracted by setting up projects, managing configurations
and so on. Begin with using the command-line compiler. You will
still need a good book. Look at www.accu.org for book reviews or
sift through the news archives for gazillion of book recommendations.

I, myself, am a beginner who is using Dev C++. I'm struggling with the
debugger a bit, and my impression is that other debuggers are better.
So that may be a downside for Dev C++ compared to most others.

Paul Epstein

henk

(e-mail address removed) schreef:
I, myself, am a beginner who is using Dev C++. I'm struggling with the
debugger a bit, and my impression is that other debuggers are better.
So that may be a downside for Dev C++ compared to most others.

Paul Epstein

I'm now downloading ms visual c++ express, i have no experience with
programming, so for now i stick with that for start.

henk

JustBoo

I want to straat with c++, but what do i need for that?
I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do i
have than everything i need in that package?
Henk.

If you have already purchased it, AFAIK, yes.

If you haven't bought it yet there are some alternatives:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml
should get you started. Search yourself though. :)

This is a good group for Standard C++ questions.

comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32,
is the group for specific Windows questions.

Good Luck

henk

JustBoo schreef:
If you have already purchased it, AFAIK, yes.

If you haven't bought it yet there are some alternatives:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml
should get you started. Search yourself though. :)

This is a good group for Standard C++ questions.

comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32,
is the group for specific Windows questions.

Good Luck

No i have not purchased anything already.
I'm gonna have a look at the mentioned adres.
Thanks.

henk

frankgerlach

The best debugger is a couple of printf() statements at the right
place... In many cases this is the *only* feasible debugger. For
example, if a program exits after processing 5000 records, you can
hardly step though it 5000 times and then discover the problem with
your debugger (OK, you could watch a counter and break at 4999, but
this is already quite sophisticated). Reading/grep-ing a log written by
some properly placed printf()s is often the fastest way to find a bug.
And if you think that microsoft's debugger is not good, try gdb - you
will quickly want the ms debugger again :)

JustBoo

The best debugger is a couple of printf() statements at the right
place... In many cases this is the *only* feasible debugger.

True. The same thing can be realized with iostreams as well. It's
considered more modern and standard, at least in this group.
Just a different way to get the same output. :)
Reading/grep-ing a log written by
some properly placed printf()s is often the fastest way to find a bug.

I find them very useful for temporal based programs. (Programs that
must run over time with many state variables that change over time.)

Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages.
- Terry Pratchett