c# first, then aspx?

Robert Blackwell

I'm learning cs with a friend, and our ultimate goal is to create dbase
driven webpages. We are coming from php backgrounds.

I currently have Learning .net

Robert Blackwell

oops, didn't mean to send that, lets start over.

I'm learning c# with a friend, and our ultimate goal is to create dbase
driven webpages. We are coming from php backgrounds and currently we are
workin on a c# book. What I'm wondering is if we should learn cs first, then
start on an ASP book, or if anyone is familiar with this book
Programming Microsoft .NET by Jeff Prosise
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735613761/103-7727487-2331067?_encoding=UTF8
(I have the book but haven't opened it yet)
will it teach relevant cs as you go?

I would assume it'd be best to learn up on c# first, but it's hard to feel
like you are making progress when you are just doing console applications.

Thanks

Curt_C [MVP]

learn basic C# first, only a day or two needed to get the basic ideas, then
start with some SIMPLE ASP.NET stuff. "hello world" etc

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

You'll need the C# to do the more advanced stuff with asp.net. So its
probably the best place to start and with a background in PHP the syntax
will be relatively familiar. The trick to asp.net development is to get a
grasp on the controls and what they do, what their limits are etc. They are
clever wrapper for HTML elements. Once you have both these things, then
along with the C# you'll be ticking along nicely.

--
Regards

John Timney
Microsoft Regional Director
Microsoft MVP

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You'll need some kind of user interface to display for your apps or else it
won't be any fun.
Console apps don't count. They are too ugly to be fun for long.
Therefore you might as well sprinkle some ASP.NET in there.
You can save the hardcore ASP.NET stuff for later if you prefer.

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

Robert,

Take a look at the quickstart tutorial on the net, theres a good listing of
the various controls. Label is the simplest - it outputs a bit of text in a
control that can have CSS applied to it. All asp.net controls typically
render HTML, some of them, like the grid control render complex tables, and
some like the panel can contain other controls. Whats unique about asp.net
controls is that they are an extensible set of objects and unlike html
elements they can easily be interacted with via code at the server side.
You can add properties to the elements and call these properties with your
code. You can also seperate out your logic and presentation very easily and
let the runtime worry about putting it all together.