    code? Not a simple subject of course... but perhaps a good place to start
    with the simpler parts.

    Thx :eek:)

    Sammy, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Sammy

    wittempj Guest

    wittempj, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Sammy

    David Guest

    Hi Sammy,

    I'm not sure what you are looking for, other than C++ code. Microsoft
    Windows has evolved through several interfaces over the years. While
    they may have strived to become more useful and evolve/create standards
    the rest of the platforms out there had most of the ideas too.

    These days the STL has lots of ideas that may be similar to a few of
    the set/array and string operations you may have used. I'm older than
    the STL by quite a few years, so I've written most of the concepts
    long before Windows or the STL had them. The Boost libraries also
    have much to offer.

    All of the communications code you may be used to can be found
    hiding as Unix (*ix) sources. They are a bit older and more reliable
    than the Windows CSocket and related classes. If you programmed at the
    WinINet level, the higher level code can easily be ported to any other OS
    and left the same.

    The graphics libraries, if you want them, come in many flavors and
    are supported on many operating systems.

    All the concepts of Windows can be found/used elsewhere. Unix
    code is generally more like NT Service or console code. Some tools
    use concepts like Windows, but don't rely on the central theme of
    the Windows Event Loop. They rely more on inter-process communication
    (IPC) techniques and allowing the developer roll their own ideas.

    The concepts of files and processes are generally the same across
    all C++ systems.

    You can find C++ code for any given topic fairly easily with a
    search engine. To find specifics for your target operating system,
    which may still be Windows, just refer to the lower level
    documentation. For instance, the wealth of generic C++ code for
    communications can be changed from the generic socket model to
    WinINet fairly easily. The problem comes if you want the Window
    Event Loop concept as the basis for all of your work. Most generic
    C++ code is stand-alone for a given concept. Then you combine
    all the concepts you need into your desired application/system/OS.

    If you have specific concepts you are looking for we might be able
    to help you find or derive them.

    David

    David, Jun 12, 2005
  4. Sammy

    zibingrong Guest

    zibingrong, Jun 13, 2005
  5. Sammy

    Sammy Guest

    Didnt add this to the earlier post but this is for a personal project
    that has seemed to keep growing in size and complexity to account for
    added functions... and also as a learning project ;o)

    I looked at STL many months ago but I never really sat down to learn how
    to use it. Sounds like this is the right opportunity to do so. It seems
    SDL works quite well... but I also just found OpenAL, which was quite a
    surprise. I do use here and there windows functions that are not
    graphics/sound related that I probably didnt need to (including those
    mentioned). And so those are the ones Im going after first... maybe start
    with the message loop.

    Thanks everyone :eek:)

    Sammy, Jun 13, 2005