C++ for windows specific code

Sammy

Hello all

Is there a good online resource that discusses C++ equivalents for windows
code? Not a simple subject of course... but perhaps a good place to start
with the simpler parts.

Thx :eek:)

David

Hello all

Is there a good online resource that discusses C++ equivalents for windows
code? Not a simple subject of course... but perhaps a good place to start
with the simpler parts.

Thx :eek:)

Hi Sammy,

I'm not sure what you are looking for, other than C++ code. Microsoft
Windows has evolved through several interfaces over the years. While
they may have strived to become more useful and evolve/create standards
the rest of the platforms out there had most of the ideas too.

These days the STL has lots of ideas that may be similar to a few of
the set/array and string operations you may have used. I'm older than
the STL by quite a few years, so I've written most of the concepts
long before Windows or the STL had them. The Boost libraries also
have much to offer.

All of the communications code you may be used to can be found
hiding as Unix (*ix) sources. They are a bit older and more reliable
than the Windows CSocket and related classes. If you programmed at the
WinINet level, the higher level code can easily be ported to any other OS
and left the same.

The graphics libraries, if you want them, come in many flavors and
are supported on many operating systems.

All the concepts of Windows can be found/used elsewhere. Unix
code is generally more like NT Service or console code. Some tools
use concepts like Windows, but don't rely on the central theme of
the Windows Event Loop. They rely more on inter-process communication
(IPC) techniques and allowing the developer roll their own ideas.

The concepts of files and processes are generally the same across
all C++ systems.

You can find C++ code for any given topic fairly easily with a
search engine. To find specifics for your target operating system,
which may still be Windows, just refer to the lower level
documentation. For instance, the wealth of generic C++ code for
communications can be changed from the generic socket model to
WinINet fairly easily. The problem comes if you want the Window
Event Loop concept as the basis for all of your work. Most generic
C++ code is stand-alone for a given concept. Then you combine
all the concepts you need into your desired application/system/OS.

If you have specific concepts you are looking for we might be able
to help you find or derive them.

David

Sammy

These days the STL has lots of ideas that may be similar to a few of
the set/array and string operations you may have used. I'm older than
the STL by quite a few years, so I've written most of the concepts
long before Windows or the STL had them. The Boost libraries also
have much to offer.

Didnt add this to the earlier post but this is for a personal project
that has seemed to keep growing in size and complexity to account for
added functions... and also as a learning project ;o)

I looked at STL many months ago but I never really sat down to learn how
to use it. Sounds like this is the right opportunity to do so. It seems
SDL works quite well... but I also just found OpenAL, which was quite a
surprise. I do use here and there windows functions that are not
graphics/sound related that I probably didnt need to (including those
mentioned). And so those are the ones Im going after first... maybe start
with the message loop.

Thanks everyone :eek:)