C Puzzles

PM

Hello!!!!

I am com sci student.... I am really interested in C... Does anybody
know any free ebooks or websites for puzzles that test the intricacies
of C...

Please Help....

Casanova

Ivan Vecerina

PM said:
I am com sci student.... I am really interested in C... Does anybody
know any free ebooks or websites for puzzles that test the intricacies
of C...

Not really specifically about C, but you can get good practice in
implementing algorithms using the following problem set:
http://acm.uva.es/cgi-bin/OnlineJudge?Volume:1
You try to implement a solution (C/C++/Pascal/Java allowed), test it
locally, then submit it by e-mail or using a web form, and see...

Cheers,
Ivan

Mike Wahler

PM said:
Hello!!!!

I am com sci student.... I am really interested in C... Does anybody
know any free ebooks or websites for puzzles that test the intricacies
of C...

If you're *really* adventurous, wander through
http://www.ioccc.org/main.html

You could also use google to find the Computer
Science sites of various universities. Many
make much of their course material (e.g.
exercises) available to all.

-Mike

tigervamp

PM said:
Hello!!!!

I am com sci student.... I am really interested in C... Does anybody
know any free ebooks or websites for puzzles that test the intricacies
of C...

There is a website that contains C puzzles from various sources at
http://purana.csa.iisc.ernet.in/~gkumar/cquestions.html
Do note that they are not all strictly standard C.

There is of course the "C Puzzle Book" by Alan R. Feuer.

My favorite place to go for non-contrived, fun and challenging
programming problems is www.topcoder.com. Although you can only enter
competitions using Java, C++, C#, or VB.NET, if you join (free) you can
view the complete problem sets and write your own solutions in C (or
any other language). I have yet to find a problem that could not be
written at least as easily in C as one of the other languages they
support.

What is really cool about this site is that they give detailed
descriptions of the problems including the full specifications of the
function to write, input constraints, and input examples with expected
outputs. You can also view the code of others who has solved these
problems in competition, see how long it takes the average programmer
to solve in various languages, etc.
If you do decide to join, feel free to use "tigervamp" as the Referring
Member ;) The problems can be found in
Competition->Statistics->Problem Archive, then click on a problem name.
Rob Gamble

Mabden

tigervamp said:
[...]

Nerd!!!