C Unleashed

Joe Wright

I just picked up "C Unleashed" from Amazon for $39.99 plus shipping. I
don't use 'picked up' lightly. It takes two hands. I'm afraid to check
for the shipping charges. They sent it in a separate shipment on a
bigger truck. :)

Although out of print, it is available. I got a 'new' never opened one.

Richard

Joe Wright said:
I just picked up "C Unleashed" from Amazon for $39.99 plus shipping. I
don't use 'picked up' lightly. It takes two hands. I'm afraid to check
for the shipping charges. They sent it in a separate shipment on a
bigger truck. :)

Although out of print, it is available. I got a 'new' never opened
one.

Out of curiosity, why? What do you feel it offers that other, more
regularly touted, books offer? I have hmmed and harred about addinh it
to my collection but the general reviews I saw were so so and I was
never a fan of "collected works" where the style and prose change from
chapter to chapter.

Joe Wright

Richard said:
Out of curiosity, why? What do you feel it offers that other, more
regularly touted, books offer? I have hmmed and harred about addinh it
to my collection but the general reviews I saw were so so and I was
never a fan of "collected works" where the style and prose change from
chapter to chapter.
Out of curiosity. Heathfield and Kirby are among the 'good guys' in my
book. I should have bought it sooner. I haven't started reading it yet.
I'll have to get back to you with my own 'review' of it.

Malcolm McLean

Richard said:
Out of curiosity, why? What do you feel it offers that other, more
regularly touted, books offer? I have hmmed and harred about addinh it
to my collection but the general reviews I saw were so so and I was
never a fan of "collected works" where the style and prose change from
chapter to chapter.
There's a huge advantage to buying books written by people on this ng, which
is that you can speak to the author.

Richard

Malcolm McLean said:
There's a huge advantage to buying books written by people on this ng,
which is that you can speak to the author.

I prefer a book where I don't need to talk to the author to understand
it to be honest.

Malcolm McLean

Richard said:
I prefer a book where I don't need to talk to the author to understand
it to be honest.
And you don't need a C compiler to learn the language. My mother learnt
programming for a non-existent computer. This was in the days when they used
to count the number of computers in the world.
However it is a real help if you can type programs in and see the results.

Richard

Malcolm McLean said:
And you don't need a C compiler to learn the language. My mother

How that has anything to do with needing to talk to a books author is
beyond me.
learnt programming for a non-existent computer. This was in the days
when they used to count the number of computers in the world.
However it is a real help if you can type programs in and see the
results.

Err, yes. I would agree.

Jack Klein

I just picked up "C Unleashed" from Amazon for $39.99 plus shipping. I
don't use 'picked up' lightly. It takes two hands. I'm afraid to check
for the shipping charges. They sent it in a separate shipment on a
bigger truck. :)

Although out of print, it is available. I got a 'new' never opened one.

All I can say is that I hope you find it worth the price! I
personally guarantee that Chapter 18 is worth at least $0.75, if not,
I'm good for it.

By the way, I thought Richard had changed ISP's and his errata page
might be gone, but it is still at
http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/unleashed/errata/index.html

Here's a direct link to my page on my chapter:

http://jk-technology.com/C_Unleashed/code_list.html

It has source code and corrected versions of some of the graphs from
the PID control section.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Ben Pfaff

Jack Klein said:
Or complain to them. But not my chapter, I hope.

I think I'd rather receive complaints than praise about my
chapter, at this point. I learn more from blame than praise.

Malcolm McLean

Richard said:
How that has anything to do with needing to talk to a books author is
beyond me.
You don't need a compiler / assembler to learn to program. My mother didn't
have one. But it helps.
Similarly you don't need to know Heathfield et al to derive some benefit
from reading C Unleashed. But if you have the authors present it is a great
advantage.

user923005

I think I'd rather receive complaints than praise about my
chapter, at this point. I learn more from blame than praise.

Reminds me of this:

"The way I see it, an intelligent person who disagrees with me is
probably the most important person I'll interact with on any given
day."
--Billy Chambless

Ben Pfaff

user923005 said:
Reminds me of this:

"The way I see it, an intelligent person who disagrees with me is
probably the most important person I'll interact with on any given
day."
--Billy Chambless

That's been one of my favorite quotes ever since I first saw it.
It rings true.

Patrick Karl

Richard said:
Out of curiosity, why? What do you feel it offers that other, more
regularly touted, books offer? I have hmmed and harred about addinh it
to my collection but the general reviews I saw were so so and I was
never a fan of "collected works" where the style and prose change from
chapter to chapter.

You forgot to add that you have a big aversion to anything that has the
name "Heathfield" on it. I suspect that you have a standing search for
Richard's name so you can add an immediate negative comment, as in this
case.

Patrick Karl

Richard said:
I prefer a book where I don't need to talk to the author to understand
it to be honest.

Especially if one of the authors is Heathfield, eh?

user923005

Especially if one of the authors is Heathfield, eh?

That particular Richard is a pure troll. He gives bad advice (so bad
it has to be intentionally bad) and (apparently) makes no attempt to
learn anything. He *clearly* has 'Heathfield envy' and follows RH
around like some kind of weird little stalker.

The best thing to do is simply ignore him.

IMO-YMMV.

Kenny McCormack

That particular Richard is a pure troll. He gives bad advice (so bad
it has to be intentionally bad) and (apparently) makes no attempt to
learn anything. He *clearly* has 'Heathfield envy' and follows RH
around like some kind of weird little stalker.

That's not what Heathfield himself says (see recent post in which
Heathfield tries very hard to distinguish between myself and my learned
colleague). You guys need to get your act together.
The best thing to do is simply ignore him.

IMO-YMMV.

And worth every penny.