    for the shipping charges. They sent it in a separate shipment on a
    bigger truck. :)

    Although out of print, it is available. I got a 'new' never opened one.

    Joe Wright, Oct 21, 2007

  2. Joe Wright

    Richard Guest

    Out of curiosity, why? What do you feel it offers that other, more
    regularly touted, books offer? I have hmmed and harred about addinh it
    to my collection but the general reviews I saw were so so and I was
    never a fan of "collected works" where the style and prose change from
    chapter to chapter.

    Richard, Oct 21, 2007

  3. Joe Wright

    Joe Wright Guest

    Out of curiosity. Heathfield and Kirby are among the 'good guys' in my
    book. I should have bought it sooner. I haven't started reading it yet.
    I'll have to get back to you with my own 'review' of it.

    Joe Wright, Oct 21, 2007
  4. There's a huge advantage to buying books written by people on this ng, which
    is that you can speak to the author.

    Malcolm McLean, Oct 21, 2007
  5. Joe Wright

    Richard Guest

    I prefer a book where I don't need to talk to the author to understand
    it to be honest.

    Richard, Oct 21, 2007
  6. And you don't need a C compiler to learn the language. My mother learnt
    programming for a non-existent computer. This was in the days when they used
    to count the number of computers in the world.
    However it is a real help if you can type programs in and see the results.

    Malcolm McLean, Oct 21, 2007
  7. Joe Wright

    Richard Guest

    How that has anything to do with needing to talk to a books author is
    beyond me.
    Err, yes. I would agree.

    Richard, Oct 21, 2007
  8. Joe Wright

    Jack Klein Guest

    All I can say is that I hope you find it worth the price! I
    personally guarantee that Chapter 18 is worth at least $0.75, if not,
    I'm good for it.

    By the way, I thought Richard had changed ISP's and his errata page
    might be gone, but it is still at
    http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/unleashed/errata/index.html

    Here's a direct link to my page on my chapter:

    http://jk-technology.com/C_Unleashed/code_list.html

    It has source code and corrected versions of some of the graphs from
    the PID control section.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

    Jack Klein, Oct 22, 2007
  9. Joe Wright

    Jack Klein Guest

    Jack Klein, Oct 22, 2007
  10. Richard Heathfield, Oct 22, 2007
  11. Joe Wright

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    I think I'd rather receive complaints than praise about my
    chapter, at this point. I learn more from blame than praise.

    Ben Pfaff, Oct 22, 2007
  12. You don't need a compiler / assembler to learn to program. My mother didn't
    have one. But it helps.
    Similarly you don't need to know Heathfield et al to derive some benefit
    from reading C Unleashed. But if you have the authors present it is a great
    advantage.

    Malcolm McLean, Oct 22, 2007
  13. Joe Wright

    user923005 Guest

    Reminds me of this:

    "The way I see it, an intelligent person who disagrees with me is
    probably the most important person I'll interact with on any given
    day."
    --Billy Chambless

    user923005, Oct 23, 2007
  14. Joe Wright

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    That's been one of my favorite quotes ever since I first saw it.
    It rings true.

    Ben Pfaff, Oct 23, 2007
  15. Joe Wright

    Patrick Karl Guest

    You forgot to add that you have a big aversion to anything that has the
    name "Heathfield" on it. I suspect that you have a standing search for
    Richard's name so you can add an immediate negative comment, as in this
    case.

    Patrick Karl, Oct 23, 2007
  16. Joe Wright

    Patrick Karl Guest

    Especially if one of the authors is Heathfield, eh?

    Patrick Karl, Oct 23, 2007
  17. Joe Wright

    user923005 Guest

    That particular Richard is a pure troll. He gives bad advice (so bad
    it has to be intentionally bad) and (apparently) makes no attempt to
    learn anything. He *clearly* has 'Heathfield envy' and follows RH
    around like some kind of weird little stalker.

    The best thing to do is simply ignore him.

    IMO-YMMV.

    user923005, Oct 23, 2007
  18. That's not what Heathfield himself says (see recent post in which
    Heathfield tries very hard to distinguish between myself and my learned
    colleague). You guys need to get your act together.
    And worth every penny.

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 23, 2007
  19. Joe Wright

    Default User Guest

    [blither blather]

    He's just trolling. He craves response. It's far better to ignore him.

    Brian

    Default User, Oct 24, 2007
  20. Who doesn't?

    Peter Nilsson, Oct 24, 2007