Cache vs no Cache

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jawahar Rajan, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. All
    I have the following code in my ASP Pages. These are the
    first lines of Code in most of my pages.

    'Ensure only 20 minute caching
    Response.Expires = 1200
    Response.buffer = True
    Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
    Response.addHeader "pragma","no-cache"
    Response.addHeader "cache-control","private"

    Have I understood this correctly. The page will expire in
    20 Minutes (20 * 60 = 1200), but the server will not cache
    the page. however within a given 20 minute period user can
    use the back button and they should not get a
    Warning "Page has expired Message"

    I want to keep the session at 20 minutes hence the 20
    minute page expiration. but I Do not want to cache the
    page on the server. Is this the correct approach. Or do
    Ihave to specify a time for the Server Cache as well.

    And Do I need both these lines?
    As one is a page header does this apply to the Client only?

    Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
    Response.addHeader "pragma","no-cache"

    or can I leave the Cache part out completely as after 20
    minutes the request must be made again.

    Any help or suggestiona are always appreciated.
    Jawahar

    Jawahar Rajan, Sep 23, 2003

  2. I want to keep the session at 20 minutes hence the 20
    I think you meant to set session.timeout (see http://www.aspfaq.com/2066).
    Response.Expires has nothing at all to do with a session.
    See http://www.aspfaq.com/2022

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Sep 23, 2003