cachedependency not working ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Dave S, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. Dave S

    Dave S Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to use cachedependency to refresh a variable when a config
    file in the web application changes, but it doesn't seem to work no matter
    what I do.
    The code is in the global.asax file on the website and is show below.
    The delegate function 'refresher' only seems to fire in debug mode.
    The example below has been simplified because I actually want to retrieve
    values from the config.xml file when it changes but I need to get this
    delegate callback working before I can even think of doing that.
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

    Public recache As New CacheItemRemovedCallback(AddressOf refresher)
    Public appCache As Cache
    Public configFile As String

    Sub Application_Start(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
    ' Fires when the application is started
    Dim s As String = "START"
    Context.Application("TEST") = s

    configFile = Server.MapPath("config.xml")

    ' use this as a trigger to refresh an application variable
    appCache = Context.Cache
    appCache.Insert("TEST", _
    al, _
    New CacheDependency(configFile),
    Cache.NoAbsoluteExpiration, _
    Cache.NoSlidingExpiration, _
    CacheItemPriority.Default, _
    recache)
    End Sub

    Sub refresher(ByVal key As String, ByVal value As Object, ByVal reason
    As CacheItemRemovedReason)
    Dim s As String = "XXX"
    Try
    appCache.Insert("TEST", _