call a webservice programmatically

Ted

I would like to call a web service programmatically ie: without adding a web
reference in visual studio. From the docs it seems like I have to use
HttpWebRequest. Also what I can't figure out is how to convert the wsdl or
the xml that is returned to an object. In VS when you create a web reference
for a web service then we can access that service in code by instantiating
the service. How do I do this when I call the web service using
HttpWebRequest. Or is there any other way of doing this?

I a newbie to .NET so if anyone has anyone has any samples to share it would
be great.

Thanks in advance
Ted