calling a javascript client side function from ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Gabby Rozow, May 1, 2004.

  1. Gabby Rozow

    Gabby Rozow Guest

    Hi,

    I have an web application written in ASP (not ASP.NET) whose main page is
    built as a frameset. On one of the framesets i have a client side javascript
    function that opens a second window in my web application. I use javascript
    to open the second window in a seperate window with no addressbar, toolbar,
    etc...
    When the user browses to the main page (for example:
    www.mysite.com/main.asp) and then clicks one of several buttons, the buttons
    call this javascript function with different parameters to control the
    behavior of the second window. All this works very well.
    However, I am now trying to add functionality to my application to enable a
    user to click on a link in another website, that will send him to my web
    application and open the second window automatically. I do that my adding a
    querystring to the URL of the main page, so that the URL will be something
    like www.mysite.com/main.asp?caller=5
    Then in one of the pages in the frameset, I check the querystring for the
    existance of the caller item, and if it's there, I try to call my function
    by writing the following asp statement:
    response.write "<script>open_second_window(" & request("caller") &
    ")</script>

    The function performs several checks and then opens the window:
    function open_second_window(param) {
    //perform several lines of code building a string variable named
    querystr
    var second_window = window.open('secondwindow.asp'+querystr)
    second_window.focus()
    }

    in line 3, querystr is a variable that is being built within the function.
    The window.open method also gets several parameters to control the
    appearance of the window as mentioned above.

    when I try to link to the application from another website as described
    above, I get the following error:

    'null' is null or not an object
    This error occurs on line 3 of the function. Everything up to that line
    works well, it also all works when calling the function from one of the
    buttons on one of the pages in the frameset.

    I am thinking that this error happens because something has not finished
    work.

    any help would be appriciated.

    Thanks,

    Gabby Rozow