Calling base class constructor from derived class Copy constructor

ali

Hi,

I am new to C++ and trying to understand how to work on Inheritance
and Operator overloading. I understand that the derived class can pass
the base class constructor in its constructor definition as following
code:

Car::Car(int id, int colorID, int type):Vehicle(id, colorID)
{
this->type = type;
}

What I am having difficulty with, is, how do I call the base class
constructor when writing the copy constructor for the derived class?

Example:

Car::Car(const Car &rhs)
{
//my code
}

Can I just add it as:

Car::Car(const Car &rhs):Vehicle(rhs.getID, rhs.getColor)
{
this->type = rhs.type;
}

I'm not sure of the above code copy constructor code accuracy, but
would appreciate some guidance.

Thank you!

Ali

Ian Collins

ali said:
Hi,

I am new to C++ and trying to understand how to work on Inheritance
and Operator overloading. I understand that the derived class can pass
the base class constructor in its constructor definition as following
code:

Car::Car(int id, int colorID, int type):Vehicle(id, colorID)
{
this->type = type;
}
Better to use an initialisation list:

ar::Car(int id, int colorID, int type)
: Vehicle(id, colorID), type(type) {}
What I am having difficulty with, is, how do I call the base class
constructor when writing the copy constructor for the derived class?
You can't. If you have some initialisation code you want to share
between constructors, and an initialise method and call it as required.

Alf P. Steinbach

[...]

You can just add

Car::Car( Car const& other ): Vehicle( other )
{}

But that's what the compiler does for you if you don't declare a copy
constructor.

So you don't have to do anything.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Alf P. Steinbach:
* ali:

You can just add

Car::Car( Car const& other ): Vehicle( other )
{}

But that's what the compiler does for you if you don't declare a copy
constructor.

Uh, more members in Car, yes, didn't see that, should be

Car::Car( Car const& other ): Vehicle( other ), type( other.type )
{}

David Harmon

On 5 Mar 2007 00:26:02 -0800 in comp.lang.c++, "ali"
Can I just add it as:

Car::Car(const Car &rhs):Vehicle(rhs.getID, rhs.getColor)
{
this->type = rhs.type;
}

Preferable, if Vehicle has suitable copy constructor already

Car::Car(const Car &rhs)
: Vehicle(rhs),
type(rhs.type)
{ }