calling javascript function from asp.net

szabelin

Hello, I am trying to call a function inside the
javascript block from asp.net during the postback (NOT
button's OnClick event handler though). The javascript
function creates new popup window. I register the
javascript code with the RegisterClientScriptBlock.

How how do I call the javascript function inside the block
from within C# asp.net page.

(yes I know popups are bad, please do not reply if you
only want to comment on why this is so)

Thanks!

Kevin Spencer

Popups are not bad, as long as they don't have SPAM in them! ;-) Seriously,
popup windows can perform a large variety of useful services, especially in
a server-side app.

Here's the thing. You can't exactly CALL a popup window on the client from
the server, as there is no connection between the 2. What you CAN do is to
use Page.RegisterStartupScript() to place a script in the page so that when
the page reaches the client, the popup window will pop up. Don't just put a
function in; put some code outside of a function that executes
window.open(). Any JavaScript code that is not inside a function block
executes immediately as the browser parses it.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

szabelin

Thank you for replying Kevin. Now the popup appears for a
fraction of a second and immidiately becomes minimized.
How do I keep it on top of the "caller" IE window? Thanks!

Here is the code:

string PopUpWindowPage = "usermessage.aspx";

string Script = "";
Script += "\n<script language=JavaScript
id='PopupWindow'>\n";
Script += "var confirmWin = null; \n";
Script += "confirmWin = window.open('"+
PopUpWindowPage+"','','width=455,height=435,status');\n";
Script += "</script>";

if(!page.IsClientScriptBlockRegistered("PopupWindow"))
{
page.RegisterClientScriptBlock
("PopupWindow",Script);

szabelin