    Am I crazy or would this be possible and viable? Any other
    suggestions also appreciated.

    Thanks

    at, Feb 21, 2004

  2. at

    Ben Morrow Guest

    ITYM stdin/stdout?
    This is perfectly possible, indeed relatively trivial... unless you want
    to go for maximum performance.

    A simpler way of doing it is with netcat or socat.

    Ben

    Ben Morrow, Feb 21, 2004

  3. at

    toylet Guest

    Unix system: I have a compiled application that can only use STDIO
    I think it's doable. What's really holding you from doing a test?

    toylet, Feb 21, 2004
  4. at

    thumb_42 Guest

    It's viable and possible too, just look at what rsh/ssh do. :)

    Speaking of which, why not just use ssh?

    Jamie

    thumb_42, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Try reading `perldoc perlipc` to see if what you want to do is listed in
    there. It *seems* like you're over complicating something simple -or- I'm
    missing something rather complex :)

    You could, maybe, use two fifo's. One for writing and one for reading.
    Both the script and the application could use these fifo's to communicate.
    There is a section in perlipc that covers fifo's, as well as some other
    tactics to deal with this situation.

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    Innovation is hard to schedule. -- Dan Fylstra

    James Willmore, Feb 22, 2004