Can you properly integrate PHP and Perl?

Sarah E. Green

I'm well familiar with both PHP and Perl

Let's say you've written, or have access to, a nice set of PHP modules or
functions which allow you to write general applications very quickly.
(As an example, to quickly bring up general and uniform web pages which
can be used to quickly enter data into a back-end database).

Now you switch companies and their environment uses entirely Perl.
Obviously, people there have been writing their own Perl modules there
for years which are used to interface to the various databases and
other systems they have there.

Is there anything that allows one to 'mix' Perl and PHP in the same
subroutines, etc, and thus allowing one to use whichever is more
appropriate for each subtask?

Something perhaps like
<?php
$phpvariable=<?perl &perlsubroutine('a',34) ?> ;
?>
or even vice versa I guess.

Heh :)
I'm almost certain that I'm being totally delusional here, but I thought
I'd ask - you never know, some third-party product might exist to do
this.

I guess I'm going to have to do it the hard way, and try to, say, have
Perl as the front-end, and have it use system() or `` (backticks) to
try to call any of my back-end PHP programs as necessary?

Nikolai Chuvakhin

(e-mail address removed) (Sarah E. Green) wrote
in message news: said:
Is there anything that allows one to 'mix' Perl and PHP in the same
subroutines, etc, and thus allowing one to use whichever is more
appropriate for each subtask? ....
I guess I'm going to have to do it the hard way, and try to, say, have
Perl as the front-end, and have it use system() or `` (backticks) to
try to call any of my back-end PHP programs as necessary?

For things that do not require exchanging data between two groups
of scripts, this may actually work quite well. If you do need the
exchange, you might want to write a SOAP-based interface between
the two groups, so that they can call each other at will. You will
end up with two Web services, one with a Perl-based provider, which
PHP scripts will call, and the other with a PHP-based provider, which
Perl scripts will call. There may be a performance penalty though...

Cheers,
NC