Can you use .Net to produce dynamically created static websites.

Joel Barsotti

What I mean here is that I have to build an HTML interface for a CD
catalouge.

All the contents for this catalouge are in a DB right now for the current
..net website.

Since the CD catalouge will contain 200 plus elements I'd like to leverage
the DB to help create the content for the CD, but at the same time thinks
like extensions and names would be very very different.

IE every product page which is normally be refrenced
"details.aspx?sku=skuNumber" would now have to be "skuNumber.html".

So at best the only thing I could accomlish with creating a dynamic site
first, would be that I could us it to tweak the look and feel of multiple
pages, but then I would have to view every page in a browser, save it to
disk, then rename the file, and update all the links for the new names of
all the static content.

Is there anything I could use with .net to simplify this process?

Joel Barsotti

That looks like a good way to rip the pages to disk.

As for the handling of the way pages would need to be linked, I guess the
way to do it would be to code it to generate the links named the way I will
want them when they are static (rendering the actual web page with mostly
broken links.)

Marc Jennings

I had to do this a while ago, and used a utility called httrack
(http://www.httrack.com)

I originally used it under Linux, but there is a Windoze version
available that works just as well. It's just a case of pointing it at
a URL, and it will go away and leech the whole site to a local
*static* copy. It deals with all internal hyperlinks, too.