cannot access user control properties within a webform code-behind

adiel

Hello, I am trying to access the properties and methods from a user
control within the code-behind file for a webform but I am receiving
the message:

Name 'MenuBar1' is not declared

It does not recognize the user control in the code behind...
Here is the code for the user control:

MenuBar.ascx:
<%@ Control Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
Codebehind="MenuBar.ascx.vb" Inherits="TestApp.MenuBar"
TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5" %>

MenuBar.ascx.vb:
Public MustInherit Class MenuBar
Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl

Dim x As String

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
End Sub

Public Property testX() As String
Get
testX = x
End Get
Set(ByVal Value As String)
x = Value
End Set
End Property
End Class

This is the page that is using the code:

test.aspx:
<%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="MenuBar" Src="MenuBar.ascx" %>
Codebehind="test.aspx.vb" Inherits="TestApp.test"%>

<uc1:menubar id="MenuBar1" runat="server"></uc1:menubar>

Then in my code behind:
test.aspx.vb

Dim y As String
y = MenuBar1.testX()

I receive the message:
Name 'MenuBar1' is not declared

....and MenuBar1 has the blue squiggly line....

I know the problem is that it does not understand what 'MenuBar1' is,
my question is, what am I missing so that i can get the code behind to
recognize 'MenuBar1'...

Thanks Before Hand,
Adiel

adiel

Thanks zPaul, I have two questions concerning that suggestion:

1. Do you have a sample code on how I would declare this user control?
2. If I declare it from code behind (test.aspx.vb), how would .NET
know that this is the same control being used in the webform
(test.aspx)?

Thanks again,
Adiel Gonzalez