Cannot convert to Ref parameter from C# to VB.Net

Sanjay Tibrewal

Hello there,

I have some code in a VB library dll whose signature is as

// VB private library code
Public Sub ExecuteNonQuery(ByVal sConn As String, _
ByRef oCmd As SqlClient.SqlCommand)

I create another project in C# and include the library locally. I use the
following code to
call the function in VB library

// C# code
string m_sConn;
SqlCommand oCmd2 = new SqlCommand();
m_oDac.ExecuteNonQuery(m_sConn, oCmd2);

When I compile the above code I get the following error. Why can't an object
passed in to the function in C# be converted to a ref object in VB.Net dll?

C:\Office\Test\WebDAVTest\Class1.cs(516): Argument '2': cannot convert from
'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand' to 'ref System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand'

Thanks for your help.

Sanjay.

Kevin Spencer

Try

m_oDac.ExecuteNonQuery(m_sConn, ref oCmd2)

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Tom Dacon

You need to supply the 'ref' keyword in the calling code, as well as in the
called method's signature. So use:

m_oDac.ExecuteNonQuery(m_sConn, ref oCmd2);

Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting