Cannot use Extensions for Compression?

Rick

Good day,
I'm using webservice extensions to do encryption, works great! I created
Compress/Decompress methods to reduce traffic and speed up the encrytion
routines. Smaller stream should d/encrypt faster, yes?
The problem is that the stream compresses and decompress fine if done, as a
check, on one side of the call, say at the client as Compress, Decompress and
send to the websrevice so I know that my code works. BUT if compressed then
sent to the webservice the stream.read(byte(),offset,length) method gives an
'Unknown block type. etc'.
Can yoy use DeflateStream/GZipStream in webservice extensions?

Rick