can't find cgi-bin

John Taylor-Johnston

Anyone have an idea where I can find my cgi-bin? I can't run a script to find it.

Bizarre oh bizarre. My Home directory is this:

/home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www

but of course, I can only see /www as my root. Even phpinfo() (yes I can do PHP) won't tell me much where cgi-bin is hidden. I've placed it in /www/cgi-bin and /cgi-bin. Nothing works.

Ideas?

gnari

John Taylor-Johnston said:
Anyone have an idea where I can find my cgi-bin? I can't run a script to find it.

Bizarre oh bizarre. My Home directory is this:

/home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www

but of course, I can only see /www as my root. Even phpinfo() (yes I can
do PHP) won't tell me much where cgi-bin is hidden. I've placed it in
/www/cgi-bin and /cgi-bin. Nothing works.

yes. ask your system administrator.

gnari

Walter Roberson

:Anyone have an idea where I can find my cgi-bin? I can't run a script to find it.

That's not a perl question.

:Bizarre oh bizarre. My Home directory is this:

:/home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www

:but of course, I can only see /www as my root. Even phpinfo() (yes I can do PHP) won't tell me much where cgi-bin is hidden. I've placed it in /www/cgi-bin and /cgi-bin. Nothing works.

You might not -have- a cgi-bin. Or your WWW server might be
configured to allow cgi scripts in any directory (if you can
do php from a directory, then it -is- a script directory.)
Or your WWW server might be configured so that you can
designate your own script directories or script filetypes, such as
by adding a line to a .htaccess file that looks something like

AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi

The best thing to do is ask your support people.

If it were a system I was authorized to use a shell on, I
would use 'ps' to see if I could find the httpd binaries, and
deduce from there the likely location of the server configuration
files and read the config for myself. But some admins might
get a bit upset about that.

John Taylor-Johnston

Sigh. Newsgroups are for asking for help.
I must have one, even if I cannot see it. If I type:
http://www.glquebec.org/cgi-bin/

I do get a 403 error, which tells me something; in fact:
"You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/ on this server"

I have tried "any" directory. Can't shell. I'll try the htaccess thing to see.

O.K. will make phone calls on Monday.

Alan J. Flavell

Sigh. Newsgroups are for asking for help.

Get real. This is usenet, not a help desk.
I must have one, even if I cannot see it.

The killfile is ready and waiting. Now let's see what you had been
told:

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea, you know.

Otherwise you could ask in a WWW servers configuration group. You are
most certainly off-beam here.

Walter Roberson

:Sigh. Newsgroups are for asking for help.

But -this- newsgroup is not for help with the configuration of
your WWW server -- not unless your WWW server is written in perl.
Try the comp.infosystems.www.servers.* hierarchy.

Your server is Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) PHP/4.3.4 and is a virtual server
run by jonctioninter.net. Read their FAQ at
http://www.jonctioninter.net/en/tech/www-laz.html#scripts_cgi

:I must have one, even if I cannot see it. If I type:
:http://www.glquebec.org/cgi-bin/

:I do get a 403 error, which tells me something; in fact:
:"You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/ on this server"

It probably also tells you that automatic directory index generation
is turned off and there is no index.html file in that directory.

But that's nothing to do with perl.

Tad McClellan

John Taylor-Johnston said:
Sigh. Newsgroups are for asking for help.

Yes, but *this* newsgroup is for asking for help with _Perl_.

You do not need help with Perl.

You need help with web servers or the CGI.

Try asking in a newsgroup that is actually about web servers or the CGI.

[ snip TOFU ]

Jürgen Exner

John said:
Anyone have an idea where I can find my cgi-bin? I can't run a script
to find it.

Well, if you can't run a Perl script, why not run a simple "find" command?
Of course this has nothing to do with Perl
Bizarre oh bizarre. My Home directory is this:

/home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www

The try "find /home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www -name cgi-bin". Please check the
syntax, it has been a while since I used "find".
but of course, I can only see /www as my root.

You know about the "cd" command, do you?

jue