Changing Form Data

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by George Rogic, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. George Rogic

    George Rogic Guest

    Hello:

    I've done an exhaustive online search and either can't find what I'm looking
    for or I'm unable to make what I've found work. I'm not a programmer, but
    I'm sure that this is probably elementary stuff.

    What I have is a form which is being POSTed to an ASP script which processes
    the script and emails it to a specified recipient (which is set in a hidden
    form field).

    In this form, I have a popup menu of a list of items. Based on which menu
    item is selected, I would like the recipient value to change accordingly.
    The "value" of the menu item cannot be used as it is capturing other data.

    For example:

    <select name="country">
    <option value="12345">USA</option> -- email to
    <option value="45678">France</option> -- email to
    <option value="98765">Spain</option> -- email to
    </select>

    As I said, there is a hidden field:

    <input type="hidden" name="email" value="">

    So if someone selects "France", the email "" changes to
    "" and then the form is sent to the ASP script for processing.

    If anyone has any insight or can point me to a site w/code which can help,
    it would be greatly appreciated.

    George

    George Rogic, Jun 27, 2003

  2. If you use ASP on the server you should change the ASP page to examine
    the posted data and then change the email as needed.
    With client side JavaScript your form will only function correctly if
    the user has a browser with JavaScript support enabled.
    If you can't change the ASP page then you could use an onchange handler
    <select
    onchange="switch (this.selectedIndex) {
    case 0:
    this.form.email.value = '';