Character replaced with "?"

Tidan

Hi,

I'm programming a web service in Java on unix platform and this web
service is called by a windows client. The client send a crypted string
to the server, but some character are not recognise and they are
replaced with question mark... And the numeric value of this character
change for 63 (value of the question mark)
These character are (in decimal) 129,141, 143, 144, 157. Both client
and server are set to use cp1252 encoding.
I know these character are unused in CP1252, but when I encrypt the
string on the client, I use an algorithm based on numeric values of the
characters and so, I can have some of these in the string. When it
append, I am unable to decrypt my string on the server.

Anyone can help ?
thx

Chris Smith

Tidan said:
I'm programming a web service in Java on unix platform and this web
service is called by a windows client. The client send a crypted string
to the server, but some character are not recognise and they are
replaced with question mark... And the numeric value of this character
change for 63 (value of the question mark)
These character are (in decimal) 129,141, 143, 144, 157. Both client
and server are set to use cp1252 encoding.
I know these character are unused in CP1252, but when I encrypt the
string on the client, I use an algorithm based on numeric values of the
characters and so, I can have some of these in the string. When it
append, I am unable to decrypt my string on the server.

So basically, you are trying to send binary data, but you'd like to be
able to treat it as a string. In that case, google for Base64 encoding.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Stefan Schulz

Tidan said:
Hi,

I'm programming a web service in Java on unix platform and this web
service is called by a windows client. The client send a crypted string
to the server, but some character are not recognise and they are
replaced with question mark... And the numeric value of this character
change for 63 (value of the question mark)
These character are (in decimal) 129,141, 143, 144, 157. Both client
and server are set to use cp1252 encoding.
I know these character are unused in CP1252, but when I encrypt the
string on the client, I use an algorithm based on numeric values of the
characters and so, I can have some of these in the string. When it
append, I am unable to decrypt my string on the server.

Since you want to send binary data, base64 encoding _is_ the way to go.
If there where some characters you wish to transmit, i would suggest
specifying the proper encoding in your web service call.