checkbox

Obscurr

hi,

is there a way of making checkboxes "non-touchable" like ¨with the use
of the input type=text's READONLY attributte?

obscurr

Matthias Gutfeldt

Obscurr said:
hi,

is there a way of making checkboxes "non-touchable" like ¨with the use
of the input type=text's READONLY attributte?

It works exactly the same way, check the specification
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.12>, or use the
simple examples below:

To have it always checked:
<input type="checkbox" name="my_readonly_box" checked readonly>

To have it never checked:
<input type="checkbox" name="my_readonly_box" readonly>

If you're using XHTML:
<input type="checkbox" name="my_readonly_box" readonly="readonly"
checked="checked">

And don't forget that some browsers might not support the readonly
attribute, or let the browser override it. So always do server-side
validation (a must anyway, just thought I'd mention it).

Matthias

Steve Pugh

is there a way of making checkboxes "non-touchable" like ¨with the use
of the input type=text's READONLY attributte?

readonly does not make text imputs "non-touchable", they still receive
focus, etc.

If you want to make something "non-touchable" then use the disabled
attribute, which affects any input type. And this is normally
indicated visually in some way.

But generally it's strange to have visible input elements that the
user can't actually input anhything into. Maybe if you explained what
you were trying to do we could suggest an alternative.

Steve