CLPM - a help group?

Sherm Pendley

Stephan Bour said:
Again, you ignored what he has said

It's called "critical thinking." After reading your posting history
here, I think it's safe to say you need to try it some time.

*plonk*

sherm--

Charlton Wilbur

TJMcC> I did that 5 years ago.

In the case of people who change their From line, how do you handle it?

I must admit that I'm spoiled by Gnus adaptive scoring. The only people
I have to kill manually are the ones who are such trainwrecks that I
keep reading their posts even though I shouldn't. For the average
troll, just killing the threads is sufficient. But that breaks when
they change their From lines.

Charlton

Stephan Bour

John Bokma wrote:
:: ^^^^

Yes I temporarily changed it, because no one is obligated to give anyone
else the last word.

:: You couldn't have made my point more clear.
::
::: It's nice to see that you obviously endorse the inventing alternate
::
:: yeah, the inventing alternate, whatever, shit stain. *ploink*

If anyone has created a stain on this group, it's the people who have become
so obsessed with telling people to RTFM, who purposely misquote, and even
down right lie at times. Some of you have become so out of touch with
reality it truly is laughable. Guess what, Usenet was never created solely
for the Academia world, it was created for everyone. Usenet exists as a
decentralized entity, so no single person governs it, and no one person can
lay kingship of a newsgroup as some of you repeatedly pretend to do. But go,
keep living in your fantasy world where you are king and lord and behave in
any anti-social manner you wish.

Tad J McClellan wrote:
:: I did that 5 years ago.

Not possible, since I wasn't here 5 years ago, so take your assumptions,
take your lies, and get real.

Stephan.

Stephan Bour

Sherm Pendley wrote:
::
::: Again, you ignored what he has said
::
:: It's called "critical thinking."

No, it's called being purposely ignoring parts of what was said that change
the meaning completely. It's a very deceptive practice, one often imployed
to gain the upper hand in an arguement without actually having a real
arugement. Well done.

Stephan.

Martijn Lievaart

Yes it is. I've been on one, so I've been speaking from first hand
experience, so don't tell me how one functions. You just posted in one.

I have first hand experience as well, and a volunteer helpdesk takes
commitment from their volunteers, otherwise it would not function. Who is
available when, rosters and that kind of thing. You volunteer to take an
obligation.

Quite different from this group.
So have you. And reiterating a falsehood over and over doesn't make it
any more true, so please spare us all the superior
you-must-listen-to-us-because-we-are-never-wrong routine.

I never say I'm never wrong. In fact, if you look at my posting history,
you'll see that I often retract statements and am often wrong. I'm not
afraid to admit that.

So I'll let your statement above just speak for itself.

M4

Tad J McClellan

Charlton Wilbur said:
TJMcC> I did that 5 years ago.

In the case of people who change their From line, how do you handle it?

Once they've revealed their willingness to change identities,
I usually make multiple entries in slrn's scorefile in addition
to the literal one that was already in there:

% does not read docs for function being used
% eg: capture output from system()
% or uses groups as a "read the docs to me" service
Score:: -9998

From: (e-mail address removed)
From: sbour@
From: Stephan Bour

Please don't referece this as a continuation of "CLPM - a help group"
in which you actually intend to carry on the thread in a similar, not
to removed fashion.

You appear to be starting a new thread on how you make a KILL scorefile
strike right through the heart in a permanent way.

I don't think this bodes well as a subject. Am I right?
On the subject line, why do you lead people into thinking this has to do with
the "Perl help group?" thread when it doesen't???

Please title your personal software "Kill" tactics appropriately!

sln

Sherm Pendley

Please title your personal software "Kill" tactics appropriately!

He *did* change the subject when the topic drifted. What part of
"Score files (was Re: CLPM - a help group?)" doesn't make that clear
to you?

sherm--

Tad J McClellan

Please don't referece this as a continuation of "CLPM - a help group"

This _is_ a continuation of "CLPM - a help group".

in which you actually intend to carry on the thread in a similar, not
to removed fashion.

Why not?

You appear to be starting a new thread on how you make a KILL scorefile
strike right through the heart in a permanent way.

Not much gets past you, that's for sure!

On the subject line, why do you lead people into thinking this has to do with
the "Perl help group?" thread when it doesen't???

I don't lead people into thinking this has to do with
the "Perl help group?" thread when it doesen't.

I lead people into thinking that is has to do with scorefiles.

That is why I edited the Subject header.

Please title your personal software "Kill" tactics appropriately!

I've already done that.

sln

He *did* change the subject when the topic drifted. What part of
"Score files (was Re: CLPM - a help group?)" doesn't make that clear
to you?

sherm--

What part of modifying kill software made it clear to you that it had even
a particle of subject "CLPM - a help group?".

I think you need to stfu forever. I can start the stfu branch too from this one.

sln

Sherm Pendley

What part of modifying kill software made it clear to you that it
had even a particle of subject "CLPM - a help group?".

You're not making sense. Tad *didn't* leave the old subject line - he
changed it to accurately reflect the topic of this branch.
I think you need to stfu forever. I can start the stfu branch too
from this one.

Don't worry, I did that for you. Did that help you feel better about
yourself? Or do you intend to whine some more?

sherm--

Dr.Ruud

Tad J McClellan schreef:

The best supported format to change the Subject line is

New subject (was: old subject)

(see "RFC" 1036)

That format is picked up by many mail and news clients, because the tail
about the old subject is best removed at the next reply.

John Bokma

Tad J McClellan said:
I did that 5 years ago.

I only recently (like 2-3 years ago) started to use a kill file. I should
have done earlier, that's for sure.

Adam Worrall

Martijn said:
I have first hand experience as well, and a volunteer helpdesk takes
commitment from their volunteers, otherwise it would not function.

Not all help desks are created equal, as the one I was on obviously
functioned differently than yours. Mine functioned just fine, so please
do not make blanket statements.

Who is available when, rosters and that kind of thing. You volunteer
to take an obligation.

Not in all case you don't. In my help desk, and other like from what
I've been told, you are volunteering _you_ time, you are not being paid,
and therefore not required nor obligated to provide help to any _you_ do
not wish to help. It's that simple.
Quite different from this group.

Again ,you're missing the point. There exists groups that do behave in a
comparable manner to this group, which was the point _I_ made before.

- Adam

Adam Worrall

John said:
OK, acting as in "false behavior; pretense". Hence it is not a help desk.

You are still ignoring my comparison to a _real_ help desk I was on and
how this one functions, and you also _once_ _again_ ignored the fact
that I _never_ said this was a help desk, but that it _acted_ just like
one, such as the one I knew.
So, no fallacy of mine. I just call this nail not a screw, while you
prefer to go on and on how you can sometimes use a nail like a screw.

There you go again, I _NEVER_ said you can can use a "nail" like a
"screw"... this is just a bad example. It does not equate to the topic
at hand. Stop trying to find piss-poor ways to make a point and stop
ignoring things that I've said (otherwise you are making it appear that
I've said something I haven't, when you change the wording.)

- Adam

Adam Worrall

Sherm said:
He *did* change the subject when the topic drifted. What part of
"Score files (was Re: CLPM - a help group?)" doesn't make that clear
to you?

I stayed exactly on the subject, can't speak for everyone else though.
But this kill file business is just another indication of going off the
deep end - it's a personal utility, so please keep it personal and talk
about it over email, just as you've told others to do for such things in
the past.

- Adam

Adam Worrall

John said:
You understand what an example is?

I understand what a bad example is.
In a similar way is not identical.

So what, no one claimed they were, so please stop playing with words here.
So there is nothing wrong with people explaining that this is NOT a helpdesk.

Yes there is. You and others scold others for pretending to be
authoritative if they even try to hint at saying this group is a help
desk, yet you yourselves act in the same sort of authoritative manner by
saying it isn't a help desk.

What makes your group of people more authoritative than anyone else,
when _no_ _one_ owns the group and _no_ _one_ has the right to carry the
pretense that they are some how aloud to create law in the group.

It's nothing short of bonified hypocrisy.

- Adam

Sherm Pendley

Adam Worrall said:
though. But this kill file business is just another indication of
going off the deep end - it's a personal utility, so please keep it
personal and talk about it over email, just as you've told others to
do for such things in the past.

You don't know much about usenet, do you? First, you claim that it's a
help desk, and now this...

The meta-topic of NNTP client apps has traditionally been considered
on-topic in all usenet groups, since everyone here is using such a
client. The same is true of discussions about netiquette.

With all due respect, I suggest that you put more time into learning
what usenet *is*, before trying to change it into something else.

sherm--

Sherm Pendley

Adam Worrall said:
Yes there is. You and others scold others for pretending to be
authoritative if they even try to hint at saying this group is a help
desk, yet you yourselves act in the same sort of authoritative manner
by saying it isn't a help desk.

Nonsense. It's not a question of authority, it's one of accuracy. If I
state that water is made of hydrogen and oxygen, I'm not ordering the
universe to make water out of that, I'm simply describing how it's
already being made.

Same thing here - usenet is not a help desk. That's the reality. Deal
with it.

sherm--