code behaves differently on different servers

CreepieDeCrapper

i have a simple JS window.open function that i'm calling and it works great
here:

http://demo.creationsite.com/GLBC/www/
(click on "virtual tour" in the yellow text link)

- no status bar
- proper title in title bar (same as main window)

now once i transferred this EXACT file (and included JS file) to the live
location (which is with a different hosting provider btw) i have some
issues:

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/
(click the same link as before)

- now i get a status bar!
- the title doesn't show up correctly (the URL is automatically displayed in
front of what i have for the title tag)
- do a "view source" and see what i mean

this live site is with MediaTemple btw

anyone ever see this behavior before?

thank you for any help you can provide!

- kevin

Lee

CreepieDeCrapper said:
i have a simple JS window.open function that i'm calling and it works great
here:

http://demo.creationsite.com/GLBC/www/
(click on "virtual tour" in the yellow text link)

- no status bar
- proper title in title bar (same as main window)

now once i transferred this EXACT file (and included JS file) to the live
location (which is with a different hosting provider btw) i have some
issues:

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/
(click the same link as before)

- now i get a status bar!
- the title doesn't show up correctly (the URL is automatically displayed in
front of what i have for the title tag)
- do a "view source" and see what i mean

I see exactly the same thing at both sites (status bar and URL in title), using
IE6 and Firefox.

CreepieDeCrapper

first off, thank you for testing

i'm using the same browsers as you (on xp pro) and get different results as
indicated in my first post... not sure why, it's a very odd issue

if you have the time, view source the popup and look at the <title> tag...
notice the URL isn't in there... any ideas here?

Grant Wagner

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP changes the behaviour of the various
Security zones in Internet Explorer. demo.creationsite.com is most
likely in your Intranet zone, where Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 does
_not_ add the URL to the titlebar. www.greatlakesbrewing.com is most
likely in your Internet zone, where Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 in it's
default configuration _does_ add the URL to the titlebar.

There is _nothing_ you can do about this, it is a security feature added
to Internet Explorer in Windows XP Service Pack 2 to allow people to see
at a glance that the link they clicked on which opened a new window that
navigated to http://[email protected] is not ebay.com,
but in fact is somemalicioussite.com.

The same information appears in the titlebar of recent Gecko-based
browsers when a new window without an address bar is opened.

I'm sure there is some configuration or registry change an individual
could make that would change this behaviour, but you can't affect that
change from your Web site.

You'll just have to live with it, because the people using your site are
seeing the URL in the titlebar.

CreepieDeCrapper

wow, nice catch
that is exactly what is happening :)

any input about the status bar showing up? my code is set to prevent it yet
it still displays... maybe for the same reason the URL is in the title bar
(i.e. zoning security, etc.)

Grant Wagner

The status bar appears for the same reason the titlebar has the URL in
it, to prevent a malicious Web site from opening a new window that
pretends to be someone else and tricking the user into doing things they
wouldn't normally do. Again, you have no control over this.

If a user of Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 (comes with Windows XP Service
Pack 2) wishes, they can go to Tools > Internet Options > Security tab >
choose the appropriate zone and click Custom Level... > Miscellaneous >
and uncheck Allow script-initiated windows without size or position
constraints. But you have no way to do that programmatically.

Recent Gecko-based browsers do this as well, and I would imagine that
Opera 8 will do this too (if 7.5 doesn't already do it).