Code Behind

lewindha

Hello All

I am new to ASP and my employer outsourced some web app work before I
began working here. It was written in ASP(C#). In the pages it says
the codeBehind=page.aspx.cs. I can't find this file on the server
anywhere. The reason I am looking is that we want to change some
things and add some new things. Right now I am simply trying to get
a handle on how the app flows(which webform triggers which page,
etc.). I'm assuming this is in the .cs file since there is nothing
in the .aspx file. Can someone please tell me where to find this
code???

Thanks

*-----------------------*
Posted at:
www.GroupSrv.com
*-----------------------*

Kevin Spencer

If you don't have the CodeBehind files, you will have to ask the people to
whom the job was outsourced. The CodeBehind files are compiled into a DLL.
If they didn't give you the source code, you will have to ask them for it.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Lucas Tam

(e-mail address removed)-spam.invalid (lewindha) wrote in @Usenet.com:
I am new to ASP and my employer outsourced some web app work before I
began working here. It was written in ASP(C#). In the pages it says
the codeBehind=page.aspx.cs. I can't find this file on the server
anywhere. The reason I am looking is that we want to change some
things and add some new things. Right now I am simply trying to get
a handle on how the app flows(which webform triggers which page,
etc.). I'm assuming this is in the .cs file since there is nothing
in the .aspx file. Can someone please tell me where to find this
code???

Unfortunately the code is probably NOT on your server... When you compile
ASP.NET code, the VB files get compiled into the DLL located in the BIN
directory.

To retreive your code, you'll need to call the outsourcing company or
decompile the DLL.

Terry

I guess you are looking at a .aspx file on the server in
which case the .cs file has been compiled and will be in
the form of a dll (You will find them when you look in
the bin folder in the same directory)

you can decompile the dlls using reflector if you need
the code

Guest

Bad
Your Code Behnid tag implies the source should be in the same folder as the
..aspx

Be aware that you do not need the source to run the application as it will
be compiled into a .dll in the application's /bin folder. All you need is
this .dll and the .aspx pages.

Looks like the "outsource guy" may have been trying to make himself
indispensable:)

Not sure on the legalities, but your company should always ensure that any
code written specifically for them becomes their property so that situations
like this don't arise. As it is, if it wasn't written down that the source
was to become your property he may be entitled to bill you for its handover(?)

Meanwhile you are left with an unmaintainable application to which you
cannot make any changes - you can't recompile what you haven't got...

(e-mail address removed)

JuLiE Dxer

You mean written in ASP.NET, eh?? I'd look in your bin directory for
the compiled code as a .dll