Colspan and rowspan

Klaus Wertler

I've heard it is possible to define overlapping areas with the table
attributs colspan and rowspan. How can this be achieved?

Thanks Klaus

Matthias Gutfeldt

Klaus said:
I've heard it is possible to define overlapping areas with the table
attributs colspan and rowspan. How can this be achieved?

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6.1>.
"Cells that span several rows or columns
Cells may span several rows or columns. The number of rows or columns
spanned by a cell is set by the rowspan and colspan attributes for the
TH and TD elements."

Example from that page:

<TABLE border="1">
<CAPTION>Cups of coffee consumed by each senator</CAPTION>
<TR><TH>Name<TH>Cups<TH>Type of Coffee<TH>Sugar?
<TR><TD>T. Sexton<TD>10<TD>Espresso<TD>No
<TR><TD>J. Dinnen<TD>5<TD>Decaf<TD>Yes
<TR><TD>A. Soria<TD colspan="3"><em>Not available</em>
</TABLE>