Comparing compilers

erik.dellamonica

Hi group!!

I had to compare different programming styles (behavioral, structural,
....) and tools and, do to this, I had to compare the output of
different compilers (ISE and Leonardo). I've seen that all the output
files are binary or incompatible... There is any way to view, for
example, the RTL level produced with an indipendent viewer? Or to
compare the binary file (*.bit) produced by ISE and Leonardo or
others??

Thank you!!
ERIK

jtw

It looks like you are comparing apples and and raisins.

The bit file is used to load the FPGA; it is the result of a tool following
place and route.

All of the standard compilers should produce a common format: edif. The
suffix may vary (edn, edf, ...), but they are ascii, [painfully]
human-readable files.

The back-end tools then import these (along with optimized library elements,
which will be in binary) and generate the appropriate output file to load
into the FPGA. For Xilinx RAM-based parts, this is [usually] a bit. For
other manufacturers, there will be a similar programming file. And yes,
none of those will be compatible with each other. But it has nothing to do
with Leonard/Precision/Synplicity/ISE.

Now, if you want to compare the edif outputs, have fun; each tool has its
own algorithm for naming signals. Doing a global diff is usually
pointless.

Now what do you really want to compare? Typically, device utilization is a
useful parameter; another, speed. The different front-end tools
(compilers/synthesizers) will produce varying quality of results, depending
on the tool capabilities and how they are directed.

JTW

Mike Treseler

I had to compare different programming styles (behavioral, structural,
...) and tools and, do to this,

Those coding styles work with any synthesis tool.
I had to compare the output of
different compilers (ISE and Leonardo). I've seen that all the output
files are binary or incompatible... There is any way to view, for
example, the RTL level produced with an indipendent viewer?

Use the RTL viewer that comes with the synthesis tool.
Here's some examples: http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/

Consider evaluating hdl simulators also.
This is the only practical way to know that
your code will actually do what you expect
in synthesis.

-- Mike Treseler

erik.dellamonica

I had to compare such compiler and tools for a simple reason. We use
FPGA only from some month, before we have used DSP. We have write
control and estimation algorithm at high level but sometimes we had had
some problem.... it doesn't work! :-( Some other work group, which we
collaborate with, had tell us that they use Leonardo without any
problem. Therefore I'm trying to understand if the problem is because
we are writing at too higher level or the problem is the compiler. I
suppose that the problem is the code but I had to deepen every possible
cause fo failure.

Thank you!

-- Erik Della Monica

Mike Treseler

I had to compare such compiler and tools for a simple reason. We use
FPGA only from some month, before we have used DSP. We have write
control and estimation algorithm at high level but sometimes we had had
some problem.... it doesn't work!

I expect that you used a development shell or debugger
to test your DSP code before building a release.
The equivalent tool for HDL code is a simulator.

:-( Some other work group, which we
collaborate with, had tell us that they use Leonardo without any
problem. Therefore I'm trying to understand if the problem is because
we are writing at too higher level or the problem is the compiler. I
suppose that the problem is the code but I had to deepen every possible
cause fo failure.

A logical error in the HDL code is the best bet.
The odds that I could write a complex hdl module flawlessly
without simulation are very small. The odds that a synthesis
program like Leo would make a bad netlist from good code
are even smaller.

-- Mike Treseler