Comparing Integers

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by RN1, Dec 15, 2007.

  1. RN1

    RN1 Guest

    Sometimes I find that though I am comparing 2 integers, the result
    turns out to be unexpected.

    For e.g. an ASP page encapsulates recordset paging.

    <%
    Dim iPage,iPageCounter

    iPage=Request.QueryString("Page")
    If(iPage="") Then
    iPage=1
    End If

    Dim objConn
    Set objConn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.CONNECTION")
    objConn.Open ........

    Dim strSQL
    strSQL="SELECT * FROM MyTable"

    Dim objRS
    Set objRS=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RECORDSET")
    objRS.PageSize=15
    objRS.Open strSQL,objConn,adOpenKeyset

    objRS.AbsolutePage=CInt(iPage)

    'display records here

    'pagination
    For iPageCounter=1 To objRS.PageCount
    If(iPageCounter=CInt(iPage)) Then
    Response.Write("[" & iPageCounter & "]")
    Else
    Response.Write("<a href='ThisPage.asp?Page=" &
    iPageCounter & "'>" & iPageCounter & "</a>")
    End If
    Next
    %>

    Assuming that there are 225 records, the For....Next loop will display
    1, 2, 3, 4.........14, 15 as page numbers.

    The If condition within the For....Next loop ensures that the page
    which the user is currently viewing isn't displayed as a hyperlink.
    For e.g. if a user is viewing page #4, then 4 is not rendered as a
    hyperlink; rather it is rendered as plain text BUT if the variable
    iPage in the If condition within the For....Next loop is not
    explicitly cast into an integer using CInt i.e. the If condition looks
    like this

    If(iPageCounter=iPage) Then

    then the page the user is currently viewing remains a hyperlink
    instead of plain text. Why?

    For e.g. when the user is viewing page #4, the value of the variable
    iPage is 4 which means that within the For...Next loop, when
    iPageCounter is 4, then the If condition evaluates to true since iPage
    is 4 & so is iPageCounter. Then why does 4 get rendered as a hyperlink
    instead of plain text?

    RN1, Dec 15, 2007

  2. TBH, I can't explain or reproduce your problem. If page is specified on the
    query string then the type of iPage is a string. However when making a
    comparison between an integer and a string VBScript will coerce the string
    to an integer and the comparison should succeed.

    That said since iPage is expected to be an integer and has prefix notation
    to that effect it would be best to ensure that it is on input:-

    Dim iPage: iPage = CInt(Request.QueryString("Page"))
    If iPage = 0 Then iPage = 1

    No need for any further CInt calls.

    Anthony Jones, Dec 15, 2007