Compilation speed on IntelC++

Mirek Fidler

Hi,

first my apologize for posting it here, but I have not found any better
place where to ask...

I am just trying IntelC++ 7.1 compiler. Problem is that it seems to be
rather slow, at least compared to my old MSVC 6.0 - about 3 times
slower.

Possible cause might be a wrong commandline. Right now I am interested
in debug builds, so I do not need any optimizations and so on. My
commandline looks like this:

icl -c -nologo -W3 -GR -GX -Gy -YX
-Fpe:\out\upp/Core/DEBUG-GUI-IA32-INTEL-SHARED-ST-WIN32/Core.pch
-de:\out\upp/Core/DEBUG-GUI-IA32-INTEL-SHARED-ST-WIN32/Core.pdb
-MDd -Zi -Od -GZ /TP
-I"f:\uppsrc" -I"D:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler70\Ia32\Include"
-I"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE"
-I"f:/uppsrc" -I"f:/uppsrc/platform" -I"e:/v/include" -I"d:\ORANT\OCI80\
INCLUDE" -I"d:\mysql\include"
-DflagGUI -DflagST -DflagSHARED -DflagWIN32 -DflagINTEL -DflagIA32 -Dfla
gDEBUG
f:\uppsrc\Core\String.cpp
-Foe:\out\upp/Core/DEBUG-GUI-IA32-INTEL-SHARED-ST-WIN32/String.obj

Does -YX precompiled headers option work properly ? Have I disabled
optimizations right with -Od ? Or is something else wrong ?

Mirek

Jack Klein

Hi,

first my apologize for posting it here, but I have not found any better
place where to ask...

I am just trying IntelC++ 7.1 compiler. Problem is that it seems to be
rather slow, at least compared to my old MSVC 6.0 - about 3 times
slower.

[snip]

The fact that you don't know the proper place to ask this question
does not change the fact that the details of invoking specific
compilers are off-topic here.

Have you contacted Intel's tech support?

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

osmium

Jack said:
I am just trying IntelC++ 7.1 compiler. Problem is that it seems to be
rather slow, at least compared to my old MSVC 6.0 - about 3 times
slower.

[snip]

The fact that you don't know the proper place to ask this question
does not change the fact that the details of invoking specific
compilers are off-topic here.

Have you contacted Intel's tech support?

That sounds like a particularly bad place to ask. I would continue the
newsgroup approach to finding an answer. Try google advanced groups first,
if your hunch is right I would expect a lead to the right group in the
existing messages.