compile python to binary

sam

Hi,

I have seen some software written in python and delivered as binary form.

How does these binary code get generated by python compiler?

Thanks
Sam.

Daniel Bickett

Fredrik said:
oh, you mean that "python compiler" didn't mean "the python compiler".
[snip]

I simply inferred that he was using the wrong terminology, being that
he said "binary" twice ;-)
I have seen some software written in python and delivered as binary form.

How does these binary code get generated by python compiler?

Daniel Bickett

Doug Holton

Fredrik said:
Daniel Bickett wrote:

oh, you mean that "python compiler" didn't mean "the python compiler".

I wouldn't assume a novice uses terms the same way you would. It was
quite clear from his message that py2exe and the like were what he was
referring to, if you had read his first sentence:

"I have seen some software written in python and delivered as binary form."

Peter Hansen

Daniel said:
Fredrik said:
oh, you mean that "python compiler" didn't mean "the python compiler".
[snip]

I simply inferred that he was using the wrong terminology, being that
he said "binary" twice ;-)

While I suspect you've guessed correctly at what the OP
meant, one should also consider that the word "binary"
can be quite ambiguous in the hands of a newbie.

After all, source code is stored in binary too...

-Peter

sam

Peter said:
Daniel said:
Fredrik said:
oh, you mean that "python compiler" didn't mean "the python compiler".
[snip]

I simply inferred that he was using the wrong terminology, being that
he said "binary" twice ;-)

While I suspect you've guessed correctly at what the OP
meant, one should also consider that the word "binary"
can be quite ambiguous in the hands of a newbie.

After all, source code is stored in binary too...
Sorry for the vagues terms. I meant compile a python script into a
binary program.

Thanks
Sam

Alex Martelli

Doug Holton said:
I wouldn't assume a novice uses terms the same way you would. It was
quite clear from his message that py2exe and the like were what he was
referring to, if you had read his first sentence:

"I have seen some software written in python and delivered as binary form."

Sorry, Doug, not clear to me. I have seen, for example, some games
delivered with binary files with names such as something.pyc -- and
those ARE binary files made by the python compiler.

Alex

Fredrik Lundh

Daniel said:
oh, you mean that "python compiler" didn't mean "the python compiler".
[snip]

I simply inferred that he was using the wrong terminology, being that
he said "binary" twice ;-)

yeah, but PYC files (which is what the standard compiler produces) are binary
files too, in all the usual senses of that word -- and it's not that uncommon that
people ship Python programs as a bunch of EXEs/DLLs (or equivalents), and
PYC files.

</F>

Peter Hansen

sam said:
Sorry for the vagues terms. I meant compile a python script into a
binary program.

As I said, "binary" is a very ambiguous term, so your
clarification by itself wouldn't have helped. (That is,
while the defined meaning is fairly precise, many people
use "binary" to mean something different.)

Anyway, the phrase you were actually looking for is
"stand-alone executable". That's what py2exe and the
like produce, and that's what distinguishes what you want
from, for example, what some suggested in the first place.
(In a Windows-only environment, asking "how do I create
an EXE" would pretty much mean the same thing.)

-Peter