compiled DLL's and performance

Guest

does compiling the code behind source using studio give and performance boost?
this is a rephrase of an a question i posted yesterday. To be honist VS.net
is becomming a pain to work with for asp.net. Vb.net and c.net hey, no
problem, but asp.net it seems to create way too much over head and
complication. thanks for listening and would appreciate an opinion.
thanks
kes

Patrice

Anyway it always execute compile code ? What are you seeing exactly ? Is it
the first time you hit a page ? Or each time you access the page ?

Patrice

Flip

I'm by no means an expert on this, but coming from JSPs and linux, I have a
slightly different perspective than your typical MS/VB/Windows user.

From what I've learned, everything is compiled as far as .net is concerned,
to intermediate language (IL), and further compiled upon execution into
executable code for Windows. On IIS, with ASPX, if things are slow, you
might be dealing with a killed process. That's what I'm running into. One
thing MS did to help stop DOS attacks, they kill the process if it's got no
activity on it for 20m or something like that. Of course you can change it,
or even disable it.

re too much overhead
JSPs are not that bad, but when you start adding in servlet (java's version
of the code behind, I know, I know, it's not exactly the same, but
sufficient for drawing parallels), and modifying the web.xml for every
servlet addition is a pain too! And then when you add in the IDE (I'm using
JB @ w) and then you have two code bases for multiple projects.....uh man it
just gets complicated, and there's only so much ANT tasks can help to
automate. Believe, me, I'm having more fun with VS @ h than I am with
JB/java @ w.

Good luck with it. Keep it up, it will reward you.

William F. Robertson, Jr.

When you start two threads with the same question, you probably should post
a followup to your original post. It makes it easier to reply. Plus if you
question wasn't answered, follow up with us, and we will followup with you.

Unless you have a rolling 12 hour post...

bill

Guest

thanks for responding,
I knew that the pages got compiled on the first hit. I was not asking about
the first time hit or a specific page, but a general question. I hav elearned
according to another post that there is no difference once the source is
compiled first hit by a Browser. The over-head issue was a question about the
VisualStudio.Net development environment. It seems to add a lot more
complacation than apears necessary. for example the class creates Private
Subs for the general controls such as buttons and links. That's ok, but it
gets me a little confussed because the same automatic subs are not generated
for some other objects like DataGrid Events. And here the subs need to be
declared as not private. I'm guessing there is a ways to do this correctly,
but i still don't know how.

Guest

please see my reply to Patrice.
And Thanks for responding.
If i may ask how do you declare a sub for a datagrid event as private? All
the subs generated by VS.NET are but gatagrid events ar enot autogenerated.
thanks
kes

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Kurt.

As others have already expressed, there's
very little or no performance boost, except
for a very minimal one for the first user.

I understand your point about
VS.NET being a lot of overhead.

Nevertheless, some of its features are essential
if you don't want to spend years developing an app.

Intellisense, integrated debugging, point-and-shoot property
settings, integrated help with F1, and many other features,
like deployment projects, integrated source code management,
etc., make VS.NET the tool of choice for developing .NET apps,
ASP.NET included.

For small-project developers who just want to be
able to create websites, and who don't need the
enterprise features built into VS.NET, Microsoft
is releasing Visual Web Developer, which is like
VS.NET, but geared only for ASP.NET development.

You might find it worthwhile to
start familiarizing yourself with it.

It's way above Web Matrix, which it substitutes.

The release of ASP.NET 2.0 is not too far away,
so this is the right time to start checking out VWD.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspx

Patrice

So this is not a performance problem ?

Granted there are some plumbing going on behind the scene but it should
really show up only on rare occasions and is likely needed.

..NET also creates some code to perform actions done "visually" (is this
those private subs you are talking about or do yu mean protected variable
declarations ?). I don't see those "need to be declared as *not* private"
procedures you are talking about. AFAIK subs handling datagrid events are
private and you have to write them ???..

You may want to give us a precise sample of the code you are referring to...

ASP.NET 2.0 should still hide a bit more of this plumbing (such as having a
declaration in the ASPX page doesn' t require to have a programmatic
declaration in the code behind + DataSource controls are not creating code
etc...).

Patrice

Guest

thanks again, and i have a question,
VS. net auto defines the subs as private in created class. How can sub
created manuelly be declared as private, or should they not be? Reason i'm
asking is that vs.net does not create subs based on events raised by a
datagrid.
thank you

Guest

this is a running discussion so i apologize if question s appear more than
once.
and some answers also:
this is a a simple sub declaration to do a sort

Private Sub SortGrid(ByVal objSender As Object, ByVal objArgs As
DataGridSortCommandEventArgs) Handles dgrdStkHst.SortCommand
Call bindDataGrid("stkhstX")
End Sub
It give me this error when run: 'INDEXBUILDDaily._try.Private Sub
SortGrid(objSender As Object, objArgs As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridSortCommandEventArgs)' is not accessible in
this context because it is 'Private'.
if not declared private it runs and calls a sub that is private. I seems to
me that it should be declared as private, but i really don't know that much
(i mean it).
well, even when it does run the datagrid disappears. I can get ti to sort,
but only if i do it seprate from the data grid using a button control, ...

for now i'd just be happy to figure why it does not want to be declared
private
thanks
kes

William F. Robertson, Jr.

Private subs mean they can only be called from inside the class, in this
case your page class. Typically you will only call events for an WebControl
on the page that it is on, so them being private is okay.

I am a C# guy, but I created a vb web application. I was able to use VS.Net
to generate stubs for DataGrid events.

From the codebehind screen, you should see two drop down lists across the
top of your code. Pull the first one down, and you should see you DataGrid.
Select it.

It will change the second one, the one on the right. It will have a list of
DataGrid events. Drop that list down and select the event you want to
handle. It will generate your stub for you.

If you want to create it manually, you will have to type it all out, pretty
much exactly as the generated code looks like.

HTH,

bill

Guest

thank you very much!!!
kes

William F. Robertson said:
Private subs mean they can only be called from inside the class, in this
case your page class. Typically you will only call events for an WebControl
on the page that it is on, so them being private is okay.

I am a C# guy, but I created a vb web application. I was able to use VS.Net
to generate stubs for DataGrid events.

From the codebehind screen, you should see two drop down lists across the
top of your code. Pull the first one down, and you should see you DataGrid.
Select it.

It will change the second one, the one on the right. It will have a list of
DataGrid events. Drop that list down and select the event you want to
handle. It will generate your stub for you.

If you want to create it manually, you will have to type it all out, pretty
much exactly as the generated code looks like.

HTH,

bill

Patrice

Do you use System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid ? Or do you use a grid that
inherits from this grid ?

Patrice