compiled dll's versus aspx.cs

Guest

Hello. I am relatively new to VS.NET and have ingerited a web application built by 2 previous developers. The most recent one compiled his C# source to a dll, the first one left her C# source as aspx.cs files. I have to debug and enhance the appliation but am running into a couple of issues

1. in order to analyze the C# code, I must decompile the existing dll someho
2. I have a source tree from the last developer but he wasn't a diligent user of VSS and it is incomplete. I've tried opening the .sln file associated with the project without luck. I get an error message "Unable to read the project file myProject.csproj. The system cannot find the path specified." Needless to say, i canot open the .csproj file. I think this is because I downloaded the entire app off a remote server and must now edit the .csproj file to reflect my environment

Has anyone encountered these issues before and could they help me overcome them? thanks for all replies in advance. ttyl

Marina

The .cs file is what gets compiled into the DLL. So don't bother with the
DLL - look at the source.

For the second issue, you should open the .csproj.webinfo file. This file
contains the url path of the project. Try adjusting that to fit your
environment.

G.H.Lawrence said:
Hello. I am relatively new to VS.NET and have ingerited a web application
built by 2 previous developers. The most recent one compiled his C# source
to a dll, the first one left her C# source as aspx.cs files. I have to debug
and enhance the appliation but am running into a couple of issues:
1. in order to analyze the C# code, I must decompile the existing dll somehow
2. I have a source tree from the last developer but he wasn't a diligent
user of VSS and it is incomplete. I've tried opening the .sln file
associated with the project without luck. I get an error message "Unable to
read the project file myProject.csproj. The system cannot find the path
specified." Needless to say, i canot open the .csproj file. I think this is
because I downloaded the entire app off a remote server and must now edit
the .csproj file to reflect my environment?
Has anyone encountered these issues before and could they help me overcome
them? thanks for all replies in advance. ttyl.

Kevin Spencer

Unless you can get your hands on the source code, decompiling isn't going to
do you much good.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer