Compiling perl? perl??

Mark Seger

I suspect this has been discussed in the past before, and so I searched
around the web and virtually everything I found out there says perlcc is
buggy and not to use it, especially in production, so my question is are
there any reliable alternatives? Or is there some magic incantation to
get perlcc to build without segment faulting as that's what it's doing
to me?

The problem I'm interesting is solving is getting something to run on a
system that doesn't have perl installed. I know there are also those
who want to compile as a way of hiding source, but I don't care about that.

-mark

Ben Morrow

Quoth Mark Seger said:
I suspect this has been discussed in the past before, and so I searched
around the web and virtually everything I found out there says perlcc is
buggy and not to use it, especially in production, so my question is are
there any reliable alternatives? Or is there some magic incantation to
get perlcc to build without segment faulting as that's what it's doing
to me?

The problem I'm interesting is solving is getting something to run on a
system that doesn't have perl installed. I know there are also those
who want to compile as a way of hiding source, but I don't care about that.

See PAR.pm. This packages up the perl binary and your program into a
single executable.

Ben

John Bokma

Mark Seger said:
The problem I'm interesting is solving is getting something to run on
a system that doesn't have perl installed. I know there are also
those who want to compile as a way of hiding source, but I don't care
about that.

Check out PAR, which puts the perl interpreter, your script, modules etc.
in one executable.

boyd

Mark Seger said:
I suspect this has been discussed in the past before, and so I searched
around the web and virtually everything I found out there says perlcc is
buggy and not to use it, especially in production, so my question is are
there any reliable alternatives? Or is there some magic incantation to
get perlcc to build without segment faulting as that's what it's doing
to me?

The problem I'm interesting is solving is getting something to run on a
system that doesn't have perl installed. I know there are also those
who want to compile as a way of hiding source, but I don't care about that.

-mark

The module PAR does this for you, so I understand. This article by
simon cozens http://simon-cozens.org/programmer/articles/webgui.pod
does more than you are requesting, but it points the way.

Boyd