Compiling Problem - Very Odd

traviswinter

I'm practically new to Java, doing my second Java related course in
University so please bear with me. I have installed the jdk on my comp
at home, which is running Windows XP Home SP2. I am the only one that
uses the computer so there is only the one administrator account. I
have set java's bin folder up in the Path Environment Variable and
everything works peachy. No problems at all. We have been doing basic
stuff like making a BankAccount class (called BankAccount.java) and a
tester class (called BankAccountTester.java). Everything compiles fine
and runs smoothly. The same thing for when I work on assignments that
use 2 or more classes that reference each other in the university
computer labs. The problem arises when I do it on what seems to be
every other computer. At work, I use a public computer (Windows XP)
that is set up on a network with Windows Server 2003. I log into an
account with administrator privaleges and attempt to compile the
BankAccount and the BankAccountTester classes and I get an error in the
Tester class that says "Symbol "BankAccount" not found". BankAccount
has compiled fine however. Both are in one folder with no other files
in the folder. The Path variable is set up the exact same as the one
on my home computer so I can't see a problem with that. My only guess
is that the fact that I am on an account on a network, maybe there are
path problems. This would be fine, however the same thing happens on
my girlfriends computer. Her brother used java before he moved out (he
had version 1.4). I update their jdk to 1.5 and then tried to compile
the same way. Same "Symbol not found" error. Same path config as my
computer and yet no relief. I would appreciate if anyone could help me
as I like to do homework at work/at her house :)

Travis

Roedy Green

I log into an
account with administrator privaleges and attempt to compile the
BankAccount and the BankAccountTester classes and I get an error in the
Tester class that says "Symbol "BankAccount" not found". BankAccount
has compiled fine however.

I gather you have your CLASSPATH and JAVA_HOME set up correctly at
home, but not on these other machines.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
on how to finish of the install. The installer does not complete the
job.

traviswinter

Hey, on my home computer. Found neither CLASSPATH or JAVA_HOME in my
environment settings. I have found a variable called "javac" which
leads to the folder where javac is located. Also, I have the same
folder in "Path". Is that weird? heh

Thanks for the website! Hopefully that will work on the other comps :)