Complete beginner needing help

Ben

Hi, a completly simple question for pretty much everyone on this site.
I've just started to teach myself Ruby and writing some very simple
programs using the get command. Unfortunately each time I execute the
program in Scite the command line interface pops up but unfortunately I
can't enter any text or numbers??

Any idea why this is happining? The program I executing is below.

# Converts Celsius to Fahrenheit
puts "Enter a temperature in Celsius:"
cel = gets.to_f #user types a number
fahr = (1.8 * cel) +32 #convert it
puts "that's #{fahr} degrees Fahrenheit"

Many thanks

Ben

Raj Sahae

Ben said:
Hi, a completly simple question for pretty much everyone on this site.
I've just started to teach myself Ruby and writing some very simple
programs using the get command. Unfortunately each time I execute the
program in Scite the command line interface pops up but unfortunately I
can't enter any text or numbers??

Any idea why this is happining? The program I executing is below.

# Converts Celsius to Fahrenheit
puts "Enter a temperature in Celsius:"
cel = gets.to_f #user types a number
fahr = (1.8 * cel) +32 #convert it
puts "that's #{fahr} degrees Fahrenheit"

Many thanks

Ben
Nothing is wrong with your code. AFAIK, that's just the way Scite
works. You can run your program but if you want to enter/see the
input/output you should run it on the command line instead. If you
memorize the order of your gets then you can type them into the command
window inside Scite.

Also, I'm not sure how "to_f" handles newlines, but you may want to use
gets.strip.to_f or chop.to_f just in case.

Raj

Samantha

Ben said:
Hi, a completly simple question for pretty much everyone on this site.
I've just started to teach myself Ruby and writing some very simple
programs using the get command. Unfortunately each time I execute the
program in Scite the command line interface pops up but unfortunately I
can't enter any text or numbers??

Any idea why this is happining? The program I executing is below.

# Converts Celsius to Fahrenheit
puts "Enter a temperature in Celsius:"
cel = gets.to_f #user types a number
fahr = (1.8 * cel) +32 #convert it
puts "that's #{fahr} degrees Fahrenheit"

Many thanks

Ben

It's the way Scite is handling cmd... What I do on the rare occasion
that I'm in Windows, is go to start, hit run, type in cmd, hit enter...
go to whichever directory my code is in, ie. c:\foo and then type at the
command line: ruby scriptname.rb that way it doesn't close the command
box... :)

--
Samantha

http://www.babygeek.org/

"Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then all
things are at risk."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson