Connecting to SQL Server from Web Service

John*

Hello

I am trying to connect to SQL Server 2000 ( actually MSDE ) from my Web Service, but when I try to connect, I get an exception saying

Login failed for user IWAM_MachineName

I know for MS Access, I can give IWAM account read/write perms on the DB folder.

Is there some analogous thing I need to do for SQL server? I am using Windows Authentication..

Thanks in advance

John

Leonardo Rodríguez

No. IWAN is a local account of your machine.
It's not a domain account. So if u have a SQL server in another machine in
the domain, u can't use that user.
You should either use Mixed Authentication (create a user in sql server and
use that in the connstring).
Or change the user of the IIS application, but i think that it's not
recommended.
Any other ideas?

--
Leonardo C. Rodríguez
Email at: (e-mail address removed)
John* said:
Hello!

I am trying to connect to SQL Server 2000 ( actually MSDE ) from my Web
Service, but when I try to connect, I get an exception saying:

John*

Actually, the SQL Server is running on the same machine as the web service. Does that make IWAM a valid user to access the SQL database?

Leonardo Rodríguez

Yes, u can. You should create first the login on the sql server and then add
a user with that login to your desired db.
But i would suggest to use a normal user if u can.

Regards,