Consuming .NET Webservices in Java and PHP

John Saunders

Anoop M said:
What all compatibility issues are there when I expose a .NET web service
(which uses datasets) to clients in platforms like Java and PHP?

DataSets are platform-specific. Other platforms will only be able to process
them as XML, at best.

Also, other platforms may have trouble accessing the schemas for the typed
datasets. In .NET 2.0, the automatically-generated WSDL file depends on the
client to fetch the typed dataset schema separately. Not all platforms will
do this, so the client won't even know the structure of your data.

In general, if you're looking for interoperability, you should not use
platform-specific types in the interface to your web service.

John